Good DAP with streaming features and low budget?
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #18 of 28
Does the hip DAC support streaming? I didn't think so based on the web site specs.
Well, the Hip-DAC needs a source. If the source can stream and do USB audio out, then the Hip-DAC will work. I'm currently using the Hip-DAC and a Pixel/iPod Touch for streaming myself, while I evaluate portable DAP options. I'm relatively happy so far. Ask me in a month.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #19 of 28
Well, the Hip-DAC needs a source. If the source can stream and do USB audio out, then the Hip-DAC will work. I'm currently using the Hip-DAC and a Pixel/iPod Touch for streaming myself, while I evaluate portable DAP options. I'm relatively happy so far. Ask me in a month.

That's what I thought and why I was surprised when someone in the thread suggested a hip dac as an all in one streamer/dac.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #20 of 28
That's what I thought and why I was surprised when someone in the thread suggested a hip dac as an all in one streamer/dac.

OP said this. So I think I can recommend dac amp. The keyword is "why not use with portable dac amp". So i imply he is ok with this too.

Screenshot_20200219-034308_Chrome.jpg

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #21 of 28
Thank you all for answers!
Yes, a suggestion for a DAC / AMP was my request, but after some tests these days I don't know if it's a good idea.
I'm testing with a Samsung A5 (2015) with an Android 10 custom rom. I have two portable DACs: an old Fiio E18 and an Odyssey HD.
The first one I managed to make it work together with Poweramp, but there are clicks in the audio every time you intervene on the smartphone, as if the system was not powerful enough to manage the audio on the DAC (not enough ram? CPU not so powerful? ).
The Odyssey instead (used with a USB-C micro USB adapter) did not work neither with Poweramp, nor with Neutron and I don't know for what reason (hardware? the custom-rom?).
I don't know if the change of smartphone (or operating system) can help ...

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #22 of 28
Thank you all for answers!
Yes, a suggestion for a DAC / AMP was my request, but after some tests these days I don't know if it's a good idea.
I'm testing with a Samsung A5 (2015) with an Android 10 custom rom. I have two portable DACs: an old Fiio E18 and an Odyssey HD.
The first one I managed to make it work together with Poweramp, but there are clicks in the audio every time you intervene on the smartphone, as if the system was not powerful enough to manage the audio on the DAC (not enough ram? CPU not so powerful? ).
The Odyssey instead (used with a USB-C micro USB adapter) did not work neither with Poweramp, nor with Neutron and I don't know for what reason (hardware? the custom-rom?).
I don't know if the change of smartphone (or operating system) can help ...
Surely need to change the phone. Usb-c one.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #23 of 28
Nowadays it is almost hard to find a unit above $100 USD that does not stream Tidal or Spotify.

I would reach a bit higher and get a unit that can actually download the music for offline playback when desired.

The HiBy R5 is a good choice at $300 USD. I suspect the FIIO units already mentioned would be fine. I saw some concerns about the iBasso and wifi / bluetooth noises; maybe a visit to the forum on that is needed to see if that has been solved.

Paul at iBasso does monitor the forums which is a very cool move on his part so maybe he can offer some thoughts on that also.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #24 of 28
Change the phone is an idea: I think that a mid-range model (or a used one) is good for what I'm looking for.
But then the question is again: wich good DAC/AMP to pair with it?
In this thread I have already been recommended the Hip-Dac, which I don't know, but it seems a good product.
I already own an old Fiio E18. I confess that I used very little this DAC because with my old cell phones it was difficult to make it work: only some apps allowed the activation of the DAC.
Instead the most recent Oyssey HD mini DAC on my daily smartphone (with Android 9.1) has never had problems: it works with any app, including Tidal, Spotify, Deezer ...
So I ask you: does the Hip-Dac also work easily with recent mobile phones and with all apps?
Do you have any other suggestions?

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 28
Before I purchased the HiBy R5 for $300 I had seriously considered the FIIO M6 at $150 USD. If I recall some of the reviews indicated that the wifi was not particularly reliable on the M6. Also the R5 had oodles of power. As far as I know, the recent FIIO units have implemented system wide hi res to bypass the Android limits of 24 bit 48 khz. So all apps should have access to that. I think I went for the HiBy due to the higher power, balanced output, and MSEB capability. But if those are not issues and budget is king I would have considered the FIIO M6. I also think that if the service supports it, the M6 lets you download music not just stream it. For me that is a killer feature; you can't stream music on an airplane unless you pay for an expensive wifi service on the plane. In the age of Covid-19; remember flying on planes?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #27 of 28
Before I purchased the HiBy R5 for $300 I had seriously considered the FIIO M6 at $150 USD. If I recall some of the reviews indicated that the wifi was not particularly reliable on the M6. Also the R5 had oodles of power. As far as I know, the recent FIIO units have implemented system wide hi res to bypass the Android limits of 24 bit 48 khz. So all apps should have access to that. I think I went for the HiBy due to the higher power, balanced output, and MSEB capability. But if those are not issues and budget is king I would have considered the FIIO M6. I also think that if the service supports it, the M6 lets you download music not just stream it. For me that is a killer feature; you can't stream music on an airplane unless you pay for an expensive wifi service on the plane. In the age of Covid-19; remember flying on planes?
I think in term of functionality R5 should fulfil your needs to a greater extend.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #28 of 28
Hiby daps have the advantage of being great sources later too. Sincs they can bypass the Android software.

Like you can stream directly from tidal instead of using UAPP when using an additional dac/amp in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back