Good DAP for SONY EX1000
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TeknicalXtacy

100+ Head-Fier
What's a good DAP for the SONY EX1000's.  As you may know they are very clear and bright and tend toward sibilant on certain recordings.  So what would be a good match?  Looking for good sound stage and clear, but something that will tame the highs a bit without EQ.  Looking to spend around $400-$500.  Currently using a Fiio X3 Gen 2, I believe this DAP actually accentuates the highs and itself has been noted for being somewhat sibilant.

Input appreciated.

Thanks,'
john

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 10
EX1000 have a great synergy with Pioneer XDP100 / Onkyo DP- X1 (it's the same DAP more or less, sound is identical), they also play nicely with Questyle QP1R.
Colorfly C4 is simply briliant with them but it's very archaic DAP. Also great recommendation is Sony NW-ZX100.

Don't buy any more FiiO - all models including X7 and new X5III are far inferior in sound quality to the above mentioned. Harsh, digital and unnatural is the FiiO house sound.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 10
When you pair it with Questyle QP1R you have a TOTL equipment.
This pairing sounds like in heaven. You will hear that the Ex1000 make everything perfect.
You will never search for better stuff again...

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 10
First,

Thanks again for the all the feedback.  But I must say, paying $1,000 for a DAP seems excessive.  Are there no quality DAP's that are available that complement the EX-1000's signature that cost say $600.  Awayeah mentioned the ONKYO, but there seem to be some issues with the construction (the ear phone jacks are prone to loosening). I mean, if I pay 5 or 6 hundred dollars I am expecting a quality product even if it is not necessarily top of the line.  Hell, my lowly Fiio X3 Gen 2 is built like a tank.  And of course it must complement the EX-1000, which has a sound signature that tends to be a bit "u" shaped and can get sibilant with some recordings.  

Also, what is wrong with the Fiio X5 Gen 3  - I thought it was getting some high praise.

Thanks again guys,
john

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 10
It would appear the 

Pioneer XDP100 does ntohave balanced out but ONKYO does.  Is this important?  Have never tried balanced out, but, in theory, itis usppose to provide better sound quality.

Thoughts?

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 10
Got the Onkyo DP-X1.  Hope I don't have any jack issues.  Other than that seems like the sound quality will be a step up from my Fiio X3ii.

Now I have to try and get some balanced cables for my EX-1000's.  Gotta give it a try.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 10
Got my Onkyo in.  Seems like they may have fixed the jack issue becuase mine seem pretty tight.  Sound is very nice.  Rich and full without over emphasizing any particular part of the frequency range.  They also sound more open and less congested next to the Fiiio X3 Gen2.  Although I must say the Fiio holds its own, and for $169 is great DAP, especially if want something to go to the gym with.

In any case I appreciate the advice. 

john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back