Good computer speakers or 2.1 system?
May 16, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #16 of 28
Thanks for the link to the Swan site - I've been looking around lately.

Has anybody heard anything about the other 2 Swans multimedia speakers? The T200a looks good and I've been hearing some buzz about them recently.

I'll look into the NHT SB1 as well. Anybody have any ideas of a good preamp with sub preout that I can hook all these up to?

May 16, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #17 of 28
You’d probably be able to do better than computer speakers with a decent receiver or integrated amp and a good pair of bookshelf size speakers.

A receiver would let you tune in radio and connect other sources to the desk rig aside from just the PC and games. You could even get a surround receiver or receiver with a digital input and use the digital output from your soundcard, making use of the receiver’s DAC.

May 16, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
You’d probably be able to do better than computer speakers with a decent receiver or integrated amp and a good pair of bookshelf size speakers.

A receiver would let you tune in radio and connect other sources to the desk rig aside from just the PC and games. You could even get a surround receiver or receiver with a digital input and use the digital output from your soundcard, making use of the receiver’s DAC.

Yeah, but good modern receivers go for pretty high - I wanted to cap my receiver limit at around $200-300 ($100 for sub, $300 for speakers, $200 for receiver was what I was hoping for)

Of course if I go powered speakers, then I'd only need a pre-amp, which could double as a DAC/switcher?

May 16, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
Yeah, but good modern receivers go for pretty high - I wanted to cap my receiver limit at around $200-300 ($100 for sub, $300 for speakers, $200 for receiver was what I was hoping for)

Of course if I go powered speakers, then I'd only need a pre-amp, which could double as a DAC/switcher?

Even an entry-level receiver and bookshelf set will run circles around computer speakers and their amplification. You won’t need a sub, really. Computer speaker subs don’t really do bass, just loud mid-bass; most good bookshelf monitor speakers can go deeper.

May 16, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 28
100% agree with the bookshelf/receiver idea. That's what I've been doing for a long time now. Never did like the sound that came out of computer speakers, always too small or mid-bass bloated/distorted sound. One of my roomates has the klipsch and another the cambridge soundworks little cube things. Neither of which I think sound very good (although klipsch better than cambridge), and can't touch my PSB alphas.

May 16, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bpm2000
100% agree with the bookshelf/receiver idea. That's what I've been doing for a long time now. Never did like the sound that came out of computer speakers, always too small or mid-bass bloated/distorted sound. One of my roomates has the klipsch and another the cambridge soundworks little cube things. Neither of which I think sound very good (although klipsch better than cambridge), and can't touch my PSB alphas.

I'm running a cheap Sony receiver (hey, it was used and cheap) with Paradigm Titans for my computer rig.
smily_headphones1.gif
Still better sound than a computer speaker rig, and for less money. These speakers need better amplification, but my cheap Sony will do for now. I’ll upgrade to an integrated amp soon.

May 16, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #22 of 28
Both Klipsch and Logitech multimedia speakers are pretty ****ty, I feel bad for people who buy them thinking it's good. If you want a damn good deal for the best sounding computer speakers, follow this link to the Monsoon Planar Media 9.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...er=Description
For just a little more, you can get the same speakers with a bigger subwoofer/amp, the PM14s.

If you want a real 2.1 setup, there's no better deal than PSB Alpha A/Vs. Then it's upto you to find an amp or receiver to go with it.

May 17, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Both Klipsch and Logitech multimedia speakers are pretty ****ty, I feel bad for people who buy them thinking it's good. If you want a damn good deal for the best sounding computer speakers, follow this link to the Monsoon Planar Media 9.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...er=Description
For just a little more, you can get the same speakers with a bigger subwoofer/amp, the PM14s.

I don't agree about the Monsoon's. Save for the 505's, which have a cone midrange driver, I find them brittle and shrill sounding, with almost non-existent midrange, no bass imaging, and an overtly obvious 200hz crossover, with lower midrange sounds and anything below audibly dumped to the sub.

May 17, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 28
I'll agree to an extent with you there. I have the mh502 (same sats as mh505) and mh500. The mh502 does sound shrill with thin midrange with the bass problems you describe. The older mh500's have a more proiminent midrange but rolled off highs. These sound better balanced though.
In spite of their flaws though I still prefer monsoon to klipsch and logitech. Monsoons have always been very affordable too.

May 17, 2003 at 9:31 AM Post #27 of 28
Another thing to consider, that no one's brought up yet, is the nearfield thing. Normal loudspeakers are voiced for optimal listening at the typical listening distance which is an order of magnitude higher than your usual desktop setup.

Loudspeakers in a computer environment have a tendancy to oversaturate the user with bass and treble, and imaging is terribly affected by the close proxomity to each other, the wall, your monitor, and whatever other nearby objects are around to reflect off of.

May 19, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 28
Hands down I would say Diamond Audio/Midiland S2-4100.
These are by far the best computer speakers I've gone through.
The Acoustic Energy AEGO2 is another good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back