Going from Sennheiser HD800 to Stax SR-009?
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #46 of 47
Nice tubes. I think the Taboo MK3 is better suited to high impedance cans than its predecessor. Given the time, I'll give the Taboo a go again with the HD800. 

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #47 of 47
Must it really be a choice between the two? I wouldn't think about selling the HD800, even with the SR009 (or anything else). Depending on mood, which we all know plays an enormous factor, and the nuances of a recording or genre, having both can be terrific. The short time I have spent with the SR009 has been very revealing (pun intended). They are the clearest window into a recording that I have experienced and by a considerable margin. This ultra resolution makes the pair very different from all the rest. The HD800 also provides that unique experience which cannot be matched by anything else. Besides the incomparable soundstage (people talk about the width, but its the Z axis that makes them so special) the Sennheisers are very linear in their FR transitions and have some of the smoothest, most inviting mids I have heard. I'm amazed how they managed to make this headphone so coherent as a whole. With the right recordings the HD800's are my fade away headphones (and if you're into ambient, well, this is the quintessential headphone). Still, the price of admission for the HD800 has been very high for me. Sure 10k minimum for the SR009, but it took all of a Balancing Act to really discover what the HD800 can do.
I guess this thread might be in mothballs by now, but thought I would add that I own the HD800S and the SR-009S (and no others). I think the comments of ericfarrell85 are relevant to both 'S' models (which build on the strengths of their the predecessors). I agree the HD800S pips the Stax on depth of soundstage, and sounds more natural with acoustic instruments (I listen to classical music) - and I don't think that depends on amps, etc. I think both are even better with crossfeed. Keith Howard recently reviewed the HD800S again in HiFi Critic, and I think he was on the mark when he observed that it achieves a degree of neutrality and accuracy that most competitors are still striving to emulate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back