Going from RE-400 IEMs to ATH-M40x, what can I expect?
Apr 27, 2018 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Markery

New Head-Fier
I've been using Hifiman RE-400s for years and from what I can tell they're great and produce overall good sound. Recently I've started looking into getting some over-ear headphones and It seems like the best I can do for $100 is the Audio Technica ATH-M40x. Is there anyone who's had experience with RE-400s and M40xs who can tell me if I would notice any sound improvements using M40xs over RE-400s? I do want a pair of over-ear headphones in general, but I'm also wanting a bit of a sound quality upgrade over my RE-400s. I've hardly ever used any over-ear headphones so I'm not really sure what to expect. I have seen some complaints online about the M40x sounding too boring or dull, but from what I've read the RE-400s have a similarly flat sound signature. Any opinions are appreciated.

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 8
I have only heard the RE400 once and it has been awhile but I do own the M40x. I can say from this somewhat limited experience that I don't think you are going to find a dramatic improvement in moving to the M40x. It's just not that much better. Maybe a bit better bass, but even that I am not sure of. If you could save another $30, you could then get into a SoundMAGIC HP151, which would be a significant upgrade over your HiFiMAN, IMO. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm not sure if you are excited to get something new or having remorse but do wait till they get in and having a good listen for yourself.

Well I'm debating on whether or not I should order the M40xs. I'm thinking I may save up for a pair that will be noticeably better than RE-400s, but I don't think I'd never gonna go above $200 for headphones. Sounds like the M50x and M70xs get mixed reviews so I'm wary of those.

It seems like people say that you get a bigger bang for your buck on over-ear headphones versus IEMs so I assumed a pair of $50 IEMs would be inferior to the $100 M40x, but I guess not?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 8
I love my RE-400 too and I think the GR07BE + a DAC like the Dragonfly Red are a great upgrade. You get a wider soundstage, more sub-bass and mid-bass without bleeding into the clear mid-range vocal and the same warm + sweet sound signature, except better. You can find a pair on Amazon with detachable MMCX (2017) for $135 and I think it's a great price. The GR07BE by themselves without a DAC sound pretty good too. Make sure you get the Shure olive tips too as they enhance the bass a lot.

EDIT: Whoops! I incorrectly read your post. My suggestions were intended for IEMs. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Well I'm debating on whether or not I should order the M40xs. I'm thinking I may save up for a pair that will be noticeably better than RE-400s, but I don't think I'd never gonna go above $200 for headphones. Sounds like the M50x and M70xs get mixed reviews so I'm wary of those.

It seems like people say that you get a bigger bang for your buck on over-ear headphones versus IEMs so I assumed a pair of $50 IEMs would be inferior to the $100 M40x, but I guess not?
Nope, it's the other way around. You get better bang with IEM's over closed backs at any price point.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 8
If you could save another $30, you could then get into a SoundMAGIC HP151, which would be a significant upgrade over your HiFiMAN, IMO.

Those do seem quite a bit better actually with the 53mm driver. You think the durability of the HP151s is pretty decent? I've seen mixed reports. They're $119.89 on eBay so I'd say definitely worth the extra $20. Thank you!

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Those do seem quite a bit better actually with the 53mm driver. You think the durability of the HP151s is pretty decent? I've seen mixed reports. They're $119.89 on eBay so I'd say definitely worth the extra $20. Thank you!
Welcome. Yes, the HP151 has addressed the durability issues of the HP150. You should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back