GMA Europas. Wow!
Jul 29, 2003 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
I have about 30 hours of burn in on the Green Mountain Europas and these things are just starting to open up. The Europas are really starting to shine. They have plenty of slam and are very very musical. These speakers are supposed to take 200 hours to break in so I will not go into detail until they get further along but they do sound very promising. I do not have them set up in an optimal listening enviorment though. They are beteween and audio rack, tall piece of furniture, and a dressor with a tv on top. Plus there is windows, a bed and plenty of other furniture in the bedroom where I have them set up. Ideally, I would like to pull them forward and toe them in a little, but the wife won't let me. Still, they sound very good despite how the setup is. Again, It is hard to imagine a speaker sounding better at its 550.00 dolloar price point. I will post again at the 100 hour point. The problem is that I have to sneak in burn in time as my wife and kids are home most of the time.

Jul 30, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 8
The GMA europa, as I read from audioasylum, takes a long time to burn in, from 150-200 hours. But after that, they sound very musical and the are infamous for their imaging, that's what intrigues me. I am really after a pair of bookshelf that disappear when I close my eyes and present a good soundstage and images very well. Upon tuberoller's suggestion, I am also looking at the Von Schweikert VR-1s. Now if someone can compare the two ...

Jul 30, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I think Tuberoller already compared the two. He preffered the VR 1s over the Europas. The VR 1s must be on hell of a speaker to top the Europas, but then again they are a little more money. I do not think you can go wrong with either speaker. No doubt the VR 1s are nicer looking.

Jul 30, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 8
I just took delivery of some VR-1s yesterday. Right out of the box I am very pleased, as my dealer said I would be. They are indeed beautiful. I think Tubey compared them to a fine piece of furniture rather than a piece of audio gear.

Unfortunately I cannot make a comarison with the Europas, but after the inital two hours of listening, I can't wait for the next 100.

Jul 30, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Keiran,

I knew you would like the Europas.they are great speakers.The Vr1 and Europas are such similar designs that comparisons are ineveitable.they are both 1' silk dome tweeter,6 1/2" woofer,phase correct,time aligned designs.They both have an expansive soundstage and fantastic imaging.The VR1 excels a bit in bass performance and slightly better inner detail and instrument seperation.In the looks department the gap is much wider.The VR1 is beautiful,I won't call the Europa ugly again,but it's no Swan.

Jul 30, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, I wonder if the if a sub would help the base on the Europa? A part of me really wishes I would have bought the VR 1s based on the looks and the review, but I stuck with the Europa because I repeatedly heard from other Europa owners that it is not picky about electronics and all I was going to be driving them with was a Rotel 1065 receiver. By the way, I am still looking at the new VR 4s for my main system. I still have not auditioned them and hope to go to Mike's place in Chi-town for a listen. The only thing holding me back is I am waiting for reviews and perhaps a listen to the new Green Mountain Audio C-3 that is coming out . No one has ugly kids, but Roy Johnson from GMA said the C-3 is everything he wanted to do in speaker design. He said because of cost, he could only do so much with the Europa. The C-3 is going to list a little higher than the VR 4s.

Jul 30, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 8
hey Keiran,

Have you talked to Mike about the VR4?He has them paired with the Rogue Zuess amp and a few other amp/pre combos at his house(which is right around corner from Decibel Audio) set up with a nice analog rig.If you decide to make the trip we'll hook up and go by Mike's house to audition them.The Green Mountain and Vons are two of the best lines of speakers around.I do like all their offerings and I'm disappointed that the dealer here in Chiacgo no longer sells Green Mountain speakers.The former dealer,Symphony Sound, said the he had problems selling them based on looks,which is too bad.

Jul 30, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 8
I have not talked to Mike, but I have his name and phone number from Von Schweikerts national sales manager. I was going to call Mike when I knew I was coming to town for sure. I will be sure and let you know when I come. Thanks. Symphony Sound told me the same thing they told you, plus he said when they would place orders with GMA, it would take them forever to fill the order and it made their customers upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back