Glassjar Mini^3 questions
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jackalope

New Head-Fier
Howdy!

I've been lurking here for a while, but never registered. So this is my first post.

About this time last year I built a cmoy amp for my ipod nano. (from breadboard...who needs pcbs!). Anyway it was a really fun experience, and really opened me up to DIY stuff.

my nano and the amp got stolen, unfortunately, but I think it's time for a new project (plus I got an iphone 3G now). I really want to build the mini3 cubed, it seems like it's got the best sound for the price, and doesn't look too advanced for me to build.

Thing is, I hate shopping around for individual parts, and it always seems to cost so much more than budgeted when you factor in all the shipping... So I started looking for kits, and GlassJar is the only person I have found selling them. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? I used the comment for on the website to ask him a few questions. He hasn't replied yet, so I figured while I was waiting I could ask here.

There aren't very many details on his site, so here goes: How is the parts selection? cheapo radioshack stuff, or does he include pretty decent caps and resistors? Does the kit come with the faceplates? or do they cost extra?

Also, is his version the high performance, or the extended runtime?

Any help or input y'all could give would be appreciated, I'm really looking forward to getting started on a new project
smily_headphones1.gif

one last quick question: I'm currently using sony EX71's (I like bass...) But I think I am going to upgrade to the NuForce Ne-8, after reading the reviews of the Ne-7m. Does anyone know where to order it yet?

Also, any good place to get a cheap 3g iphone LOD, I was almost considering making one myself after seeing the prices people are charging...

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 3
It's a good kit, and easy to put together. The faceplates are something like $40 by itself. Careful though, the Mini^3 opamp is a lot more fragile than traditional opamps. If you touch it with your finger or overheat it with your soldering iron, or apply undue shock to it, your left channel is gone.

It's "GlassJar" btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back