Getting vinyl
Jun 9, 2002 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pj-

100+ Head-Fier
How do you obtain the vinyl of your favorite artists? I know that it is making a resurgence, but chances are you won't be able to find X album or EP without much effort. Apart from phoning their record company directly. I think it's sad that most records are only available in dance, where admitedly people do mix tracks. I know it is going back in evolution, but nothing beats watching a record turning around slowly and playing.

Jun 10, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 6
I would like to know that also. If you start from specific titles, it is probably expensive and takes time to search. There are resellers of used records on the Internet. Many records are inexpensive, but the freight adds upp.
I prefer the other way, looking in shops with used records. If you find a good record at a good price, buy it! Eventually, you may find much of what you want. When I want a specific title, I have nothing against buying it on CD.

Jun 10, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 6
ebay is a great place to start. There's loads if used vinyl to purchase online, just look around. I figured England would have loads of vinyl shops with a lot of rock LP's...i guess not
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 6
step #1 is to find a good *record* shop, preferably independent, definitely run by guys who love vinyl. i was under the same impression as Gloco, for what I've been told London has a hip district (akin to the Village in NYC, Haight and Berkely in Northern California, and Hollywood in Southern California) where record shops are aplenty. i just preordered both of Tom Waits' new albums and the new White Stripes album on vinyl and picked up some other titles, it isn't hard as long as you find a place that's local. going through the net is a bit of a bitch, Ebay auctions usually get out of control with cost and i've had some misgraded stuff (noted VG+, really G).

the major tricks are to a) get the title before it goes out of print, b) don't be afraid to call a label and ask if a certain album is off an analog master, and c) remember that half the fun is hunting down that rare record
wink.gif

sadly a lot of the current artists are no longer making LP releases, but most of the good ones are (save for that Lim Ed Backstreet Boys issue, what the hell was that about?).

best of luck,
carlo.

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 6
It has a lot to do with the artist. I was recently turned on to darla.com, which sells vinyl of a lot of indie-type artists.

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back