Getting that itch to upgrade my headphones... Advice? - Oops, wrong thread - Mods, can you delete it?
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TinearedOne

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have AKG K612 Pro and Hifiman HE-X4 headphones. My preference between the two is the AKG's, which have much more midrange liveliness and detail IMO than the HE-X4, though I enjoy listening with the HE-X4 as well. Bought the HE-X4 on a whim - curious about planars.

The problem is that I don't know what will be involved in "upgrading." Thinking about Sennheiser, the Drop 58X or 6XX are on the list, as I do tend to listen to a lot of midrange focused music and am not a "bass-head" (obviously, since I enjoy the K612 Pro). Also thinking of Beyerdynamic, maybe going sideways and getting a pair of DT 880 (250 or 600 ohm), but also thinking of the DT 900 Pro X.

The obvious question is whether any of those cans will be an "upgrade." Generally, the keys for me are air, clarity, and balance. I like to get goose-bumps listening to vocals and emotional music. My tastes are widely varied, but I am far more likely to listen critically to Adele than the Dead Kennedys. :wink:

What do y'all think? I have not listened to any decent headphones outside of the two mentioned. Helping me to the next step will be appreciated.

Oops. Mods, I posted this in the wrong forum. Can you delete it? Apologies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back