Getting my first headphone setup, need feedback before purchase
Sep 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

doodle cakes

New Head-Fier
I mostly play COD on xbox, but I'm looking for an all around setup.  I've read some stuff on here and read through Mad Lust Envy's large thread.  My work computer is giving me some issues, not sure if the pics are going to display or not...

I want a budget bang for my buck type of setup, and not a $300 pair of headphones for my first ones.

This is what I'm currently thinking:

Creative Aurvana Live!

+Zalman ZM clip on Mic:

+ Astro Mix Amp Pro
(image missing)

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 6
That's a very good, if a bit bassy setup. I'd replace the Zalman for some other clip on mic. Perhaps something off amazon. The Zalman sucks big time, IMHO.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I mostly play COD on xbox, but I'm looking for an all around setup.  I've read some stuff on here and read through Mad Lust Envy's large thread.  My work computer is giving me some issues, not sure if the pics are going to display or not...

I want a budget bang for my buck type of setup, and not a $300 pair of headphones for my first ones.

This is what I'm currently thinking:

Creative Aurvana Live!

+Zalman ZM clip on Mic:

+ Astro Mix Amp Pro
(image missing)

You can get an Asus Xonar DG sound card for your PC and leave the Astro Mix-amp. plugged into your xBox.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies.  I ended up buying Sennheiser hd598, tried them out last night, pretty sweet.

2 questions:

- I currently use an average pioneer receiver for my xbox.  Would a mixamp really make that much of a difference?

- I ordered the Zalman mic before you replied.  The input jack is too large for my xbox controller.  If I just cut it off and wire it to the input jack on the stock xbox headset will that work?

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 6
NO, do NOT do that. Even if the jack was RIGHT, the Xbox controller wasn't meant to take in external mics like that. Sigh, you should've done your homework.

In any case, the Zalman will go to the Mixamp Pro's headphone/mic jack. The Mixamp SHOULD come with a Y splitter cable, one input for headphones, one for the mic. Then a small 2.5mm cable will go from the Mixamp's 'controller' input, to the 360 controller's mic input.

You do NOT plug in the mic directly to the controller.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
NO, do NOT do that. Even if the jack was RIGHT, the Xbox controller wasn't meant to take in external mics like that. Sigh, you should've done your homework.
In any case, the Zalman will go to the Mixamp Pro's headphone/mic jack. The Mixamp SHOULD come with a Y splitter cable, one input for headphones, one for the mic. Then a small 2.5mm cable will go from the Mixamp's 'controller' input, to the 360 controller's mic input.
You do NOT plug in the mic directly to the controller.

lol! Ok I won't cut it.  I don't think it even cost $10 so I'm not too worried.  Not sure if it's worth getting a mix amp or not.  I might just but another cheap stock headset and mod it into a clip on mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back