Getting a new QUIET PC
Nov 27, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #32 of 40
right, gaming will probably leave much more to be desired as matrox openly state they are not concerned about keeping up with 6months product cycle. my comment was on 2d/video playback. there is a very noticeable difference
smily_headphones1.gif

runs all my games just fine, actually better for most part (i play 2d games)

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
right, gaming will probably leave much more to be desired as matrox openly state they are not concerned about keeping up with 6months product cycle. my comment was on 2d/video playback. there is a very noticeable difference
smily_headphones1.gif

runs all my games just fine, actually better for most part (i play 2d games)

The latter 9xxx Ati series and also the newer Nvidia cards have comparable 2d quality with the Matrox cards. Also, it depends on the manufacturer (esp for the older cards), some tend to go the extra step for 2d quality depending on their focus of the features. Example, I have an old Asus gf3 which I'd say is comparable to the parhelia.

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #34 of 40
With regard to hard drive noise, my Maxtor is the loudest component in my system. It's the only thing I can ever hear over the noise of the radiator.
With regard to multitasking, not very many desktop apps take advantage of either hyperthreading or multiprocessor systems, and with those that do, the P4 doesn't have a huge advantage anymore, due to the A64's integrated memory controller and much more efficient architecture.

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #35 of 40
I went on a quest for a silent PC once...

I ordered all kinds of crazy heatsinks and fans and power supplies and was never satisfied.

So one day I just got sick of it all, and went to belkin.com and ordered a 25 gold monitor extension cable.

Then I got a large usb 2.0 hub, and a usb 2.0 extension cable, and an audio extension cable. Got a USB 2.0 cd external cd drive on my desk. So the only time I ever have to get up is to burn a cd or dvd.

Stuck the computer in my closet, and put a 2 huge 80 mm fans in the chassis. The computer runs as cool as ever (the closet gets kind of hot, but it's actually nice and toasty to step in there in the winter
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I hear absolutely nothing.

The moral of the story is, make the computer loud, just not near you
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
...Stuck the computer in my closet, and put a 2 huge 80 mm fans in the chassis. The computer runs as cool as ever (the closet gets kind of hot, but it's actually nice and toasty to step in there in the winter
smily_headphones1.gif
), and I hear absolutely nothing.

The moral of the story is, make the computer loud, just not near you
smily_headphones1.gif

That's one way to do it... or you could just get an inexpensive, fanless laptop.

Nov 28, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
That's one way to do it... or you could just get an inexpensive, fanless laptop.

Fanless and laptop don't go together. Every laptop since the late Pentiums has had a fan. Even modern low voltage, low speed processors like the Transmeta CPUs have fans.

Nov 28, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #38 of 40
I'm going to be ordering the quiet PC within two weeks, but it looks like I won't be getting an ARM systems computer like I was thought before. I talked to a friend who works in the computer store that built my current PC three years ago, and we drew up a configuration for a super quiet PC that is based partly on components seen on Endpcnoise.com and partly from components on the ARM Systems site. The computer should be virtually silent, and it will only cost about $1,200 (as opposed to $1,600 from Endpcnoise or ARM Systems) so the price will be more affordable than comparable systems from either of those. That seems like a fair price for a high performance, super quiet audio PC.

Nov 28, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mEtal
The latter 9xxx Ati series and also the newer Nvidia cards have comparable 2d quality with the Matrox cards. Also, it depends on the manufacturer (esp for the older cards), some tend to go the extra step for 2d quality depending on their focus of the features. Example, I have an old Asus gf3 which I'd say is comparable to the parhelia.

the cards i am comparing my new p650 to are 9000 and 8500 built by ATi, arguably slightly better than 9700 according to those who really care about 2D. i checked the specs on the matrox website : p650,p750 and parhelia are identical as far as 2D goes. at what resolution were you comparing your gf3 against your parhelia?

Nov 29, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffL
Fanless and laptop don't go together. Every laptop since the late Pentiums has had a fan. Even modern low voltage, low speed processors like the Transmeta CPUs have fans.

Actually, I was thinking of the iBook, which is fanless
biggrin.gif

If you just want a dedicated music PC and are willing to use iTunes, the OS shouldn't matter. A used $400-$500 iBook is cheap, small, quiet, and looks good sitting on your desk
580smile.gif

Use iTunes to stream the music to an Airport Express, and you're good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back