Get micro amp for small desktop speakers
Sep 13, 2009 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

alphaod

Head-Fier
Currently I have a micro stack (non-ultra). I just bought a pair of Audioengine A2s (yes the speakers). Normally my headphones are connected to the micro amp. I'm looking to get another micro amp for the speakers since the volume pot is on the back of the speakers.

Now the problem of course I'll have is 1 dac and 2 amps; is there a way I can hook up one micro dac to 2 amps? I know the micro amp has 2 outputs, but I don't want to have to disconnect my headphones every time I just want to use the speakers. I also want to be able to use both at the same time from difference sources and use both at the same time from the same source. You get the idea.

The important question is will this work? I really don't have room for any other solution.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 10
don't A2's have an internal amp? Would make them sound worse IMO. You should just hook them up to the DAC.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't A2's have an internal amp? Would make them sound worse IMO. You should just hook them up to the DAC.

Yeah they have an internal amp, but the volume pot is on the back the speakers and it's not very accessible. That's the issue I have. BTW I have the speakers hooked up the amp right now and it actually sounds great, but I don't want to have to disconnect my headphones every time and I can't use 2 sources.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 10
Well to play headphones and your speakers at the same time, use the pre-amp output on the back of your Micro amp. This will control BOTH your headphones and speakers at the same time.

If you go for 2 Micro's, then all you need is a Grado 'Y' adapter and some ingenuity, then you can send 2 signals to the same input. I had to do something similar with my PS3 and gaming headset. Works like a million bucks.
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 10
I have the A2s and faced the same issue of how to control the volume.

Some Headfiers on a thread elsewhere said it would be bad idea to connect an amp/preamp to the speakers, since they already contain a rudimentary preamp.

However, Headroom suggested that that would not be a problem, and recommended trying the Total Bithead as the cheapest solution. That turned out to be good advice.

I've been trying out a TB while also considering a Headroom amp and DAC further up the line. But I'm having a really hard time with that decision. The Bithead works so darn well with the A2s and is such an incredible value, I'm beginning to question the need to spend any more.

As to your question: As a cheapskate, I'm dismayed at the thought that you might need need two amps to accomplish your goal.

May I ask: are you actually planning to use the speakers and headphone simultaneously, or do you just want the convenience of having them both connected at the same time?

Meanwhile, please let us know if you try Big Werm's solution.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 10
From what I'm reading Hartmann, it sounds like alphaod wants to have his speakers and headphone connected all the time. However, whenever he's listening to his speakers, he doesn't want any signal going to his headphones. This cannot be achieved with one microamp.

Getting another microamp is a rather expensive solution to not having to plug out the headphones when listening to the speakers.

Anyway, you could connect the DAC to the 2 amps using a splitter like this one available at headroom.

You may also like this Planet Waves splitter better. Less strain on your 1/8" sockets.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, Headroom suggested that that would not be a problem, and recommended trying the Total Bithead as the cheapest solution. That turned out to be good advice.

The Bithead's a neat little versatile piece of kit, isn't it?

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 10
I think that's what he does now, but when doing that, his headphone's will also be getting driven. He doesn't want to be having to plug the headphones out each time he wishes to listen to his speakers.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks all. Yes aimlink is correct.

Occasionally I'd like 2 sources with one playing music and the other say for a game or something. The idea right now with 1 amp I can only listen to one source, but also the speakers and headphones are both being powered at the same time.

With 2 amps I can have both at the same time, one playing something different than the other, and of course only using one at a time.

I think the y-splitter idea is good. I used to cut corners and save here and here, but since I have realized this is all expensive either way. So for this I'd get the ultra to use on my headphones and then use the old micro for the speakers. Yes I understand all this is quite an expensive solution (considering the micro is about 2x as expensive as the speakers themselves).

What's I'm paying for here is integration (all stacked together), and it sounds and looks good. It's brand I've used and so like-wise I'm willing to buy more from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back