General Help with Sound
Oct 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MusicBox

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi community. I just registered because I think you are the most appropriate community to give some advice.

First of all, I am thinking of purchasing a new headphone/headset. Although I know that the good sound needs good money, my budget is strict so I am looking for a solution around 70-80 euros.

Some information about me: the music I listen to is metal, mostly epic and power, classical music and soundtracks from movies and games. Although I have gratuated from a music highschool, I never had a good ear. I like listening to high quality music, but I could never play something by ear or even recognise specific notes. So I do not know if buying audiophile headphones are worth it. I do not own a sound card, what I have is the onboard sound card from an asus motherboard, and a cheap set of speakers. When I first baught my headset, which is Asus Vulcan Anc headset, I realised how much difference can a good headset make. Since then I want to have a good solution when I want to listen to something. Now that the ear cuffs are pretty much destroyed, and since asus does not provide replacements, I am thinking of getting a new headset/headphone but I am a little of a maniac, I won't buy specific headphones or headset unless I am sure this is the best I can get around my price.

Before proceeding with my future purchase I would like to inform you that I had some "static noise" issue from both front and behind jacks of my pc. I was hearing a strange static noise from my speakers and even more noticable from my headset. When I was selecting something with my mouse it was making that annoying sound. When I changed my OS to windows 8.1 from windows 7, I changed my drivers and put the new windows 8.1 ones and since then I do not have this issue from the behind jacks, but the static noise from the front jack remains. Anyone who can help here?

Now as far as headset/headphone goes, I do not know if I need the mic of the headset. I do play games, but mostly I listen to music. If the quality of the headphones are far better than the quality of the headset, I do not mind not having a mic.

Now, for a few days I have been searching for the best available headphones. Right now I am watching Sennheiser HD 439, Logitech g230/ logitech g430. Although there are options from Audio-technica, and other brands. Also there is the option of sennheiser HD 360 pro, which has a lower price, but I've heard some strange things about these. Furthermore, I do not know if getting surround over stereo is really worth it since I rarely play FPS games, when I play I mostly play RPG, MOBA and strategy games. However I want them to be durable, and also if there are replacement parts it would be a plus, I do not want to change them in a year or two like my asus vulcan anc, but keep them for like 5+ years. What do you think is the best option for me? Can you suggest anything else?

Moreover, I would like to know if it is worth getting a cheap asus sonar sound card. If this would be a great improvement I might consider it.

I am pretty much lost here guys, so help. Lastly, thanks for reading this chaotic text, as you already noticed english is not my main language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back