["Gear-Fi"] Wristwatch modding and repair?
May 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a digital watch that was only like $24.99 to begin with, but I am still using it about 5 years later -- it has huge digits and a large display screen size overall, so it's able to be viewed in the dark, without glasses, etc. etc. It also have 4 alarms which is very important for me since i'm ADD so I have trouble remembering when to takes breaks @ work and take my meds
wink.gif
lol. Lastly, it just looks sexy!! It's all stainless steel construction and looks actually quite expensive and just has a nice clean style to it.

Aaaanyway, some of the LED segments have completely died out. For some reason this data corruption (or whatever you'd call it) happened during and after the first battery died
frown.gif

I have paid at watch repair establishments for parts&labor to replace the battery and fix the wrist latch after it broke (both of those combined, spending more than the original purchase price! heh.) but i've never found a watch like this one, so I don't want to start looking for another one. Coleman doesn't even produce it anymore -- trust me, i've looked. The worst part is that i'm kind of the opposite of a packrat or hoarder, so I threw away all the initial documentation with how to buy replacement parts and whatnot -- "Oh I won't need this, it'll just be more cluttering paperwork!". Great. I am hoping and reasonably confident that an OEM manufacturer somewhere makes parts for it.......

So here's the deal:
1) Is there a way, using the serial number information on the underside of my watch, to find if there is an OEM out there that still makes parts for this watch?
2) If #1 is not possible, is there a way I can fix the display myself? I have had the battery replaced recently and the battery connection plate area cleaned so it's not a conductivity issue. It's also 30m Water Resistant so I highly doubt water got inside the watch itself.
3) Lastly, I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol a few times, is there any chance that that is what caused this breakage?

Thanks in advance!
Happy gear-loving,
-Sdu/DK

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 5
1. Well if you take it apart you may find a part number on the display. However if you're not confident in watch repair I wouldn't really go with this route.

Problem is if it's not a widely used display then it's quite likely they were just one off runs for that OEM manufacturer and they won't be made again.

2. Depends, if the display itself is stuffed then you're pretty much out of luck... personally I think if some segments don't light up at all then you're probably looking at a stuffed display imo. If there was some data corruption issue you'd probably getting weird times... like it's 7l:h0 am if you look at it upside down.
biggrin.gif
Well not quite but you know what I mean...

3. High purity rubbing alcohol should be fine, I use isoproply all the time to clean electronics and so do many others, as far as I know it's non conductive and I do know that it evaporates really quickly...

Try contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any kicking around or maybe start trawling on ebay for used ones either as replacement or as a donor.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a digital watch that was only like $24.99 to begin with, but I am still using it about 5 years later -- it has huge digits and a large display screen size overall, so it's able to be viewed in the dark, without glasses, etc. etc. It also have 4 alarms which is very important for me since i'm ADD so I have trouble remembering when to takes breaks @ work and take my meds
wink.gif
lol. Lastly, it just looks sexy!! It's all stainless steel construction and looks actually quite expensive and just has a nice clean style to it.

Aaaanyway, some of the LED segments have completely died out. For some reason this data corruption (or whatever you'd call it) happened during and after the first battery died
frown.gif

I have paid at watch repair establishments for parts&labor to replace the battery and fix the wrist latch after it broke (both of those combined, spending more than the original purchase price! heh.) but i've never found a watch like this one, so I don't want to start looking for another one. Coleman doesn't even produce it anymore -- trust me, i've looked. The worst part is that i'm kind of the opposite of a packrat or hoarder, so I threw away all the initial documentation with how to buy replacement parts and whatnot -- "Oh I won't need this, it'll just be more cluttering paperwork!". Great. I am hoping and reasonably confident that an OEM manufacturer somewhere makes parts for it.......

So here's the deal:
1) Is there a way, using the serial number information on the underside of my watch, to find if there is an OEM out there that still makes parts for this watch?
2) If #1 is not possible, is there a way I can fix the display myself? I have had the battery replaced recently and the battery connection plate area cleaned so it's not a conductivity issue. It's also 30m Water Resistant so I highly doubt water got inside the watch itself.
3) Lastly, I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol a few times, is there any chance that that is what caused this breakage?

Thanks in advance!
Happy gear-loving,
-Sdu/DK

Perhaps a watch forum...

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Well if you take it apart you may find a part number on the display. However if you're not confident in watch repair I wouldn't really go with this route.

Problem is if it's not a widely used display then it's quite likely they were just one off runs for that OEM manufacturer and they won't be made again.

2. Depends, if the display itself is stuffed then you're pretty much out of luck... personally I think if some segments don't light up at all then you're probably looking at a stuffed display imo. If there was some data corruption issue you'd probably getting weird times... like it's 7l:h0 am if you look at it upside down.
biggrin.gif
Well not quite but you know what I mean...

3. High purity rubbing alcohol should be fine, I use isoproply all the time to clean electronics and so do many others, as far as I know it's non conductive and I do know that it evaporates really quickly...

Try contacting the manufacturer to see if they have any kicking around or maybe start trawling on ebay for used ones either as replacement or as a donor.

Cool, thanks for all the info. Some of that I hadn't thought of :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps a watch forum...

Such a thing exists? lol. Well I guess the internet does have everything these days.... geez I am only 24 and I feel old by responding with these kinds of statements. Ahhh lol. Good times.

Thanks mate i'll take a look...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back