GE Capacitors???
Nov 26, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #16 of 19
Born2bwire:

Those numbers don't mean much to me. From your description, they sound like the ones I saw in a catalog. They are polypropylnes.

Bottom line: How do they sound? Are they better sounding than the Jensen's? Did you get the Jensens back from the tech?

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 19
Here is the closest thing I could find to the model number you provided:

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=155.pdf

You will find part #40L6221 at the bottom of the center column, along with a description of the 40L series above the chart.

Not one of the particularly expensive types, but a pretty bullet-proof cap. Give it a listen and tell us what you think!

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #18 of 19
gdahl:

Thanks to Budgie, I was able to obtain a few of the GE oil/polyproplylene caps. I've been trying them out out as coupling caps in my cdp. From what I can hear, they sounds as good or better than the Blackgates they replaced! The idea of using a non polarized cap at the output, is very appealing to me. And not have to deal with the constant break-in of the BG's.
Quote:

In some cases they also can be good for coupling.

In which cases don't they work well as a coupling caps?

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #19 of 19
They tend to be at their best at higher signal levels. I would sooner use one on the output side of an amplifying device than the input side. So I wouldn't use one in a phono stage!

They will usually sound less bright than a film cap (non-oil), but measure the same. Which is right? Who knows...by that time, it's a matter of taste and system synergy.

And I agree about the Black Gates. Their tendency to change sound quality in strange ways gets old after awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back