Gaming Sound Options With Monitor
Aug 1, 2013 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JesusSheep777

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm planning on getting a PS4 early next year most likely. I plan to connect it HDMI to HDMI to a monitor that will have a 3.5mm output, but possibly no built-in speakers.

Option #1.  I was wondering if I would get game volume If I connected my AKG K550s to the monitor's 3.5mm output, and if so, would the sound quality be any good, or would the monitor be too weak to drive the headphones well? In this case I would just use the PS4's included mono chat earbud for talking. Keep in mind that although I want good sound, I'm not an audiophile and super-minute details won't matter. I had just heard that the 3.5mm outputs on monitors had less than even stereo quality.

Option #2.  My other option is eventually buying a headset. If the headset connected via USB to the PS4, would I get both game and chat volume? I'm not sure if using a monitor instead of a TV would make any difference in this case.

I would really appreciate some advice, and If I've made anything unclear, just ask and I'll try to better communicate what I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm planning on getting a PS4 early next year most likely. I plan to connect it HDMI to HDMI to a monitor that will have a 3.5mm output, but possibly no built-in speakers.
Option #1.  I was wondering if I would get game volume If I connected my AKG K550s to the monitor's 3.5mm output, and if so, would the sound quality be any good, or would the monitor be too weak to drive the headphones well? In this case I would just use the PS4's included mono chat earbud for talking. Keep in mind that although I want good sound, I'm not an audiophile and super-minute details won't matter. I had just heard that the 3.5mm outputs on monitors had less than even stereo quality.
Option #2.  My other option is eventually buying a headset. If the headset connected via USB to the PS4, would I get both game and chat volume? I'm not sure if using a monitor instead of a TV would make any difference in this case.
I would really appreciate some advice, and If I've made anything unclear, just ask and I'll try to better communicate what I'm trying to figure out.

Astro mix-amp, connected to the optical output port on the PS4.
(it is really about the only choice of Headphone Surround sound from a gaming console)
The Mix-amp should easily drive the low impedance K550s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back