Gaming headphones? Recommendations needed!
Feb 4, 2008 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LightZY

New Head-Fier
Hi all, i've read through some of the threads here and i decided to open one to verify my knowledge.

Well i'm playing competitive cs and currently my headphone got screwed. So here i am looking for a new one.

Ill be amping the headphone with a Yamaha AVR amplifier.

So far i've seen many recommendations of the DT 880 and the HD595.

My budget is only US$250 max.

So um, any other recommendations that you guys have in mind? Would be a great help to me in my decision of what to purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

note: It would be good if the headphone i purchased would be good for music too!
biggrin.gif

My english isn't that wonderful so pardon me if i made any mistakes! Thanks alot guys!

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 14
I use the Equation Audio RP-21 for gaming and they perform excellently. However, with your budget you could go for the Audio Technica A900s, which by all reports are amazing for gaming.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Well since you are gonna have them coupled with a decent receiver I would suggest instead of the HD 595's go with some HD 580's if you can find them. Should be around $160 new possibly less if used and you can get some decent deals via the FS forums here I see those with the HD 600 grills alot and pretty cheap. But it is good for gaming and music very well rounded headphone kind of a jack of all trades but master of none I love mine.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 14
I was using Yamaha A-420 speaker amp for amping my D2000,
my impression : Flat, but run pretty well, I would prefer directly plug to my soundcard rather than amped by the speaker amp.

Denon D2000 is a good candidate, not really expensive, good bass, big soundstage, match with all kind of music genres or playing games / watching movie, and relatively easy to drive.

Other suggestions would be Audio Technica AD-700 & Beyerdynamic DT770/80

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm sorry if I'm getting a little off-topic here, but everytime someone asks for advice on gaming headphones, I tend to think they are looking for a decent headset that has a microphone for online communications.

Or maybe I just play wrong games
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 14
Well ill head down to my local retailers to have a go with those listed headsets you guys pointed out.

Well regarding what i meant on gaming headsets, i would still prefer more towards the Hi-Fi side.

Just wanted to ask another question, those headsets you guys recommended can it be used, or rather, will it be good for watching movies as well?

Thanks a lot again guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LightZY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well ill head down to my local retailers to have a go with those listed headsets you guys pointed out.

Well regarding what i meant on gaming headsets, i would still prefer more towards the Hi-Fi side.

Just wanted to ask another question, those headsets you guys recommended can it be used, or rather, will it be good for watching movies as well?

Thanks a lot again guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

You'll have to purchase online more then likely. Most stores carry crap.. I have yet to see a DT880/AT900/Sen 595 at a store in my area.. Closest thing are the Ultra 2500/750 at Guitar center, but they charge retail..

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 14
The Beyer 880 2005 or 2006 version, or the AKG K601s are two of the best gaming headphones you can get. They both have a very large 3D soundstage, great mids and good tight bass.

I used to have the Beyer 770 pros and senn 595s, but i was not impressed with them for gaming. The 770 pros lacked mids and had muddy bass. The 595s sounded canned - small soundstage, and the bass was very light.

Feb 15, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 14
Hi all, haven't been back for quite some while.

Recently, I've managed to auditioned the K701s, DT 880 (the newest one) and HD 595 and my impression was that the K701s sounds too harsh and my favorite was the DT 880.

Are there any other alternative other than the DT 880? I wanna test them all out before committing.

My budget is now updated to US$350. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to ask another question, but I've read that the DT 990 is the new flagship of Beyerdynamic's so should i go for the 990's instead of the 880's?

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LightZY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, haven't been back for quite some while.

Recently, I've managed to auditioned the K701s, DT 880 (the newest one) and HD 595 and my impression was that the K701s sounds too harsh and my favorite was the DT 880.

Are there any other alternative other than the DT 880? I wanna test them all out before committing.

My budget is now updated to US$350. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to ask another question, but I've read that the DT 990 is the new flagship of Beyerdynamic's so should i go for the 990's instead of the 880's?

The 880's crap all over the 990's IMO.. I have both & it's no contest.. For 350 I'd try the Denon 2000..

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 14
are you going to be lanning?

ad700s, hd555s...

stay away from a700 etc, poor sound positioning (you hear ppl too late, bass ruins footsteps) however the ad700 is great for cs.

cs = sound positioning guys, not bass effects
biggrin.gif

if u lan and take dt880s to run off onboard..
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 14
Nope i am not gonna LAN with the DT880, at least for now. Or i'm gonna get another headphone amp for that later.

Well judging, from kool bubba ice's opinion i guess the DT 880 is still better than the DT 990 then.

Hmm looks like i need to hunt around for the Denon 2000 then
smily_headphones1.gif

In the mean time, any other suggestions? :p

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 14
have you heard the 595's amped? i hear it makes quite a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back