G Protection and line out on Sony CD
Sep 20, 2001 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all;

It's my understanding that the Sony DEJ series automatically shuts off G Protection when the line out is used. Does that mean they have no antishock memory? Futureshop has the DEJ-15 on clearance, but i was concerned about using it with my cosmic.

Is this the case with panasonics, or any other unit with shock protection.

thanks all

Matthew

Sep 20, 2001 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 5
This should be in the portable audio forums.. but...

Yeah it shuts off G-Protection under the line out. I mean, it still works fine (not like those cd players where when you blow on them they skip) but not as well as with g-protection on. It works fine when you aren't moving but when you are, it isn't that great.

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 5
mackay maus, chych: That statement only applies to the D-EJ815 and D-EJ915 models. I don't know much about the expensive D-EJ01, but all of the new D-EJ#2# models have a switchable G-Protection function - so that you can have G-Protection even with a headphone amp connected to the (analog) line-out.

Sep 21, 2001 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi All (and sorry for the misplaced message)

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why Sony would build this into a portable player-does the G protection degrade the sound to the point where you'd notice it pumped through an amp?

Happy listening!

Matthew

Sep 21, 2001 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 5
My friend has a D-EJ611 and I don't know if you can tell the difference in sound between G protection on and off, my guess is you can (i can on my Sony with ESP2) but just so you know it will take quite a bit of banging around even with no G protection without skipping. You have to shake the crap out of it to skip it even without the g protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back