"Fubar II" USB DAC or Emu 0404 USB?
Mar 3, 2007 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

uofmtiger

500+ Head-Fier
I need a decent USB DAC to feed my X-can V3s/HD580s. Which of these are better for using only as a DAC? Also, if there is any other DAC(s) that is USB based under $200 that you believe is better, I am open to suggestions.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 7
I just picked up the 0404 today and am listening now as I type. It is great...maybe fantastic compared to my interal SC in the Mac Mini. No regrets here, a great buy for me. I am bidding on a Fubar on ebay right now I hope not to win it.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 7
Spec wise, the EMU 0404 USB is better than the stock Fubar II USB DAC. The EMU 0404 USB supports many different technologies (ASIO, etc.) and has numerous crucial features (Inputs of various sorts, Built-in headphone out, Digital outs, Balanced Outputs, etc.). Overall, the EMU 0404 USB is a better product. Of course, you're comparing a product that sells for $90 versus another that sells for $190.

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, I know the 0404 has a lot more features. I am really just asking how the USB to DAC to separate Amp compares. I don''t need the headphone out since I already have the X-can V3.

I did not realise that the Fubar was not ASIO, so that does make a difference. I was just hoping someone had an idea about the sound quality out of the standard RCAs.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go with the fubar. i'm sure you don't need all the junk that comes with the 0404 unless you are a musician

But what if the DAC in the 0404 stomps the Fubar?????

Yes, there is some "junk" that you don't need, but the sound is just incredible.

And I think the 0404 USB can still be had for more like $170 including shipping if you Froogle for it.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I know the 0404 has a lot more features. I am really just asking how the USB to DAC to separate Amp compares. I don''t need the headphone out since I already have the X-can V3.

I did not realise that the Fubar was not ASIO, so that does make a difference. I was just hoping someone had an idea about the sound quality out of the standard RCAs.

Are you using a laptop or a Mac by any chance?

If you're not why not consider going with an E-MU 1212m. It has a better DAC chip than either of the options you're currently considering.

If the EMI thing bothers you about PCI soundcards, let me try and ease your mind and tell you that, in my experience, it seems to be a non-issue with the 1212m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back