Total Exhilaration!
Jul 26, 2001 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

coolvij

Board geriatric
I just got home from a jazz band concert i had. First one ever for me - and i had a solo, too. Wow.....i feel good.......and relieved......and a whole slew of emotions that are hard to explain.....hehehe.

Anyway - how many people play instruments in a band or professionally or whatnot? Just curious.....

Jul 26, 2001 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, I play Clarinet in concert band. I love that instrument. You can do so much with it.

I also play all the saxophones and the trumpet. I only play the trumpet on rare occasion. I'm not a brass person. I love the Saxophone though when it comes to doing Jazz and Blues. Well, that is all from me.

Jul 26, 2001 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Here's what I can play: keyboards, piano, flute, recorder (descant and treble), violin, drums, guitar. And last - but by no means least - the Rolf Harris-endorsed Stylophone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2001 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 11
I play a wee bit o'piano. And I'm a master at the Irish tin whistle, with a marathon-concert-potential, squeaky two-song repertoire: "Oh Danny Boy" and "Auld Lang Syne." You should see the guys at the office when I break out the tin whistles -- let's just say that they're, um, reluctant fans.

wink.gif

Jul 26, 2001 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 11
Actually, in my younger days.....way younger days, I played the trumpet, fluegelhorn and trombone in a Top 40's nightclub band. We traveled around California playing in clubs. Some were nice....others were not so nice. I did this for about 7 years before I decided it was time to get a real job.

I had to do it though, to get it out of my system.

Jul 26, 2001 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 11
sackley - i played clarinet for two years.....but it just didn't work. I just like the sax sound - especially tenor sax......very balanced, imo.

Wow - all of you guys have such cool lives! or "had", ***coughJMTcough***
wink.gif
lol

Maybe i'll be like that someday....
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 11
coolvij - I think that both instruments are incredible depending on the type of music and I love the tenor Sax. It is too bad that they are making me play Baritone Sax this year for Jazz band.

Jul 26, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

coolvij wrote:

Wow - all of you guys have such cool lives! or "had", ***coughJMTcough*** lol

Let me add to your amusement.
wink.gif

When I played in my college jazz band, we competed at various jazz festivals, one of them being the Reno Jazz Festival. We placed high enough that we were awarded a two hour clinic with Count Basie and His Big Band. Conte Condoli played solo trumpet, Ray Brown on bass, and of course the Count himself on the keys. I also had the privilege of doing a recording session with the Tower of Power horn section on a demo that our band was trying to put together in San Francisco.

Again, then I had to get a real job.

Jul 26, 2001 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 11
GAAAAASSSSSPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

(need i say more?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back