Frequency Response, Beyerdynamic DT880/600 Vs Sennheiser HD 800
Mar 12, 2015 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mr Rick

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently purchased a pair of Beyer DT880s. But before doing so I did a few FR comparisons to other headphones.

I realize there are other metrics to take into account, but would I be stretching the point to call the 880s a 'poor mans' HD800??

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 12
The definitely measure very similarly... IMHO.  I don't think its too far of a stretch.  Vastly differing impedance curves though.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 12
The sound character cannot be told by the FR. Each driver has its own sound character, lke warm or cold, bright or dark.
gs1000.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 12
The sound character cannot be told by the FR. Each driver has its own sound character, lke warm or cold, bright or dark.
gs1000.gif

Both of those are frequency response differences. In any case, the graphs in the OP only match up to about 1 kHz, the differences in the upper midrange and treble are significant enough to be clearly audible. For example, the HD800 has a treble peak at slightly above 6 kHz, while it is at 8.5-9 kHz for the DT880. The graphs are also smoothed, which makes narrow dips and peaks less visible.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 12

Both of those are frequency response differences. In any case, the graphs in the OP only match up to about 1 kHz, the differences in the upper midrange and treble are significant enough to be clearly audible. For example, the HD800 has a treble peak at slightly above 6 kHz, while it is at 8.5-9 kHz for the DT880. The graphs are also smoothed, which makes narrow dips and peaks less visible.

You are right!  The FR can show you the sound type: bassy, balanced and whether there's any peak or dip. But sound is not "visible". Treble can be bright or dull, vocal can be warm or cold, bass can be punchy or muddy, The FR cannot tell in details.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Treble can be bright or dull, vocal can be warm or cold, bass can be punchy or muddy, The FR cannot tell in details.

Again, those are most often just how frequency response differences are perceived in different frequency ranges (e.g. warm/cold vocals is probably decreasing/increasing FR in the midrange). They may not necessarily be intuitive looking at a frequency response graph, but the information is nevertheless there (note that frequency response/phase response, CSD, impulse response, and square wave response are basically the same information visualized differently, as long as non-linear distortion is low enough). Although in the case of headphones, accurately measuring it is not easy, and the same headphone may have different FR on different heads/ears.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 12
As I'm 65 years old, much above 5 kHz is wasted on me anyway.  I would guess to me at least, the two would sound more similar than different. If I ever get the chance to try the HD800s I'll find out.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 12
Again, those are most often just how frequency response differences are perceived in different frequency ranges (e.g. warm/cold vocals is probably decreasing/increasing FR in the midrange). They may not necessarily be intuitive looking at a frequency response graph, but the information is nevertheless there (note that frequency response/phase response, CSD, impulse response, and square wave response are basically the same information visualized differently, as long as non-linear distortion is low enough). Although in the case of headphones, accurately measuring it is not easy, and the same headphone may have different FR on different heads/ears.

Agreed. It might be difficult to be very discerning with FR when headphones are very similar in FR, but you can look at a graph and tell a bit about warm/cold, bright/dark.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 12
As I'm 65 years old, much above 5 kHz is wasted on me anyway.  I would guess to me at least, the two would sound more similar than different. If I ever get the chance to try the HD800s I'll find out.

Maybe not. Have you had your hearing tested? Hearing loss is not always uniform above 5 kHz. That's one reason why hearing aids have to be calibrated for the individual. Could be one might fill in better where you have reduced hearing loss at certain frequencies but can still hear those frequencies.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 12
gs1000.gif

Actually, pretty much everything you just mentioned there is a direct consequence of frequency response.

"Warm" = rolled off treble/emphasized bass
"bright" = emphasized treble
"Cold/sterile" = rolled off bass
"dark" = rolled off treble

Everything that there is to know about audible differences in sound is measurable, though it isn't entirely frequency response based. Frequency response is a huge part of it though...

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 12
  Actually, pretty much everything you just mentioned there is a direct consequence of frequency response.

"Warm" = rolled off treble/emphasized bass
"bright" = emphasized treble
"Cold/sterile" = rolled off bass
"dark" = rolled off treble

Everything that there is to know about audible differences in sound is measurable, though it isn't entirely frequency response based. Frequency response is a huge part of it though...

Well, I also love to look around the FR curve from different phones. The curve shows a significant direction on what the sound will go. But I also love to compare the curve with what I actaully hear.

As mentioned, some driver tend to deliver a warm sound character, some other driver tend to deliver a cold sound character. Some driver's voice coil use copper wire, some other use CCAW. The FR can be similar but the sound is different. Also the material of cushion will affect the sound.........but this cannot show from the curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back