Fragmentation(?) problems with audio files?
Nov 24, 2023 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pail

100+ Head-Fier
I use Foobar and a SSD connected in USB to my PC to listen to music, now is the third audio file that appears fragmented, broken, there is simply a part of its audio gone, during a couple of secs there is no sound, blank output. anyone knows the reason of this? is this normal for SSD devices? i use Crucial BX brand which i know it's entry level, getting something more expensive could solve this?

Nov 24, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 7
SSDs are not fail proof. Those BX ones are absolutely crap as well. Its likely the bits went away and the drive has no clue it even happened.

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 7
We used to optimize drives based on file fragmentation and making things linear in the storage device but I'm not sure that practice is still done anymore on consumer-level devices. It sounds like some kind of bit decay. SSDs will fail sooner than a platter-based hard disk based on the maximum number of writes a SSD can commit before failure.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 7
What others have said is true, however, I will add that fragmentation is not an issue with SSDs. Random reads are so fast that it does not matter where on the NAND the data actually is. Fragmentation on a spinning disk slows things down due to the heads needing to seek to random positions around the disk. Additionally, defragging an SSD will wear it out quicker due to the limited amount of writes inherent to the technology. The only maintenance to be done on an SSD is to enable TRIM support.

Also, you have stumbled upon one of the reasons it is important to have an automated backup process.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back