fourplay, sanborn, the rippingtons, bob james?..
Jul 17, 2002 at 8:49 AM Post #16 of 26
I first heard them on the radio..."soul food to go"...
I have the anthology and it jams. I saw them live(Very cool! Everyone in the crowd kept yelling "birdland! birdland!" and Janice told them "good things come to those who wait!") and they are a tight group.
As I..uh..weed out my cd collection to the Mystery box, I hope to expand on the artists that I really like. Manhattan Transfer certainly is in that category.
Fourplay: it started off with Lee Ritenour; then after the fourth album Larry Carlton stepped in. Check em out.
md

Jul 17, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #17 of 26
The Rippingtons, Spryo Gyra, Lee Ritenour, Manhattan Transfer are some of my favorites, My wife and I have a summer tradition of catching all of them in concert during our "Summer Jazz" concert series.

Had the fortunate pleasure of seeing the Ripps, Lee, and Norman Brown on one bill at the JVC Jazz Fest a few years ago. Also on the bill were Bobby Caldwell and the late, great Grover Washington Jr.

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Had the fortunate pleasure of seeing the Ripps, Lee, and Norman Brown on one bill at the JVC Jazz Fest a few years ago. Also on the bill were Bobby Caldwell and the late, great Grover Washington Jr.

Thanks for reminding me about GW. My Winelight tape is worn out and a favorite flea-market vender had a NM copy a few weeks ago. Need to stop by after my next pay check (where does it all go?)

The limited amounts of live music is one thing that I think could stand improvement in Arkansas.

Jul 17, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck

The limited amounts of live music is one thing that I think could stand improvement in Arkansas.

One of the benifits of living in the Chicago area. There is a constant suppy of very talented people performing at a number of venues. There are some very fine Jazz performances around the city this Summer.

Jul 18, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #20 of 26
I also had a chance to see some of these bands at the now defunct Maui Jazz Festival...but no one wanted to go with me.
Bobby Cauldwell! That reminds me of like the ninth grade! Took me some time to find his cd too.
I posted awhile back..any chance one of you have a copy of Grover Washington Jr's Reed Seed? I think it was his first album.
I had the tape eons ago; there was a song on it called "Santa Cruizin."
Thanks for the posts; I was beginning to feel like I was somewhere out in left field!
md

Jul 18, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
Thanks for the posts; I was beginning to feel like I was somewhere out in left field!
md

Naw, as long as you don't have MORE than one KennyG album, I think you're still sane.
wink.gif
(Yes I have a KennyG album - but only one)

But getting back to Grover, I'll keep my eyes 'n ears open.

Jul 19, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #22 of 26
John Klemmer's "Touch" anyone? I liked it when it came out... probably sounds dated now.

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #23 of 26
Sorry for reviving a dead post, but hey!
If you have not heard "Birdland" by Manhatten Transfer, you ain't heard music. A rediscovery for me and headphones!
What a jewel.
md
(edit) by the way, they sound just as tight live as on the cd.

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

I like coltrane and some of the older jazz stuff....but how about the new guys?

Someone I know recommended David Sanborn to me; I tried the CD "The Best of David Sanborn" only to be horribly dissapointed. I was expecting something in the spirit of classic jazz -- I would have been alright even with fusion, but no -- this was that homogenized, new-age-esque stuff. Many of the songs I could imagine hearing in an elevator, which is, needless to say, a telltale sign of a recording that I wish I hadn't bought. Perhaps David Sanborn's other CD's are less like this, with a more traditional or even fusion-like feel. To tell you the truth, the only song I actually liked was the only acceptable, groovin' one -- built on the blues scale -- called "Over and Over," but it still was below some of my all time favorite tunes from John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, and Joe Henderson.

I also recently bought two modern jazz CD's by Martin, Medeski and Wood called 'Uninvisible' -- and another CD by Herbie Hancock called 'Future 2 Future.'

'Uninvisible' is a good CD, though it gets sort of boring after a while because it lacks melodic contour and climax -- sometimes it sounds like it's just a bunch of jazz musicians playing with a complex beat machine and a turntable -- although other times some of their beats+melodies are really quite cool. The tunes on this recording are relatively good interpretations of modern jazz/fusion, for they aren't too homogenized or "smooth-jazz" esque. And while I could still call this CD jazz, for those of you looking for jazz with any sort of a 'traditional' feel, I still wouldn't recommend looking here. All in all, this is a decent CD, though after a while I start to look at my watch and start yearning for Coltrane.

Herbie Hancock's "Future 2 Future" is, well, bizarre. It's not very jazz-like, almost more pop oriented. Though this sort of thing isn't all that unusual for Herbie Hancock, because earlier in his career he release some pop tunes that topped the charts. Personally, I really like his actual jazz stuff better that he did earlier in his career, like "Watermelon Man" and such . . .

All in all, there are some great modern jazz artists (like The Dave Holland Quintet), however some of them (lthe CD of David Sanborn that I heard) are IMO not the best nor seem to be in any way even vaguely remnicent of traditional jazz style. Some other great new artists are Joshua Redman (he has sort of a Coltrane-esque playing style) along with many others.

Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
One of the benifits of living in the Chicago area. There is a constant suppy of very talented people performing at a number of venues. There are some very fine Jazz performances around the city this Summer.

You probably already know about the Symphony Center. They have jazz performances in the winter on Friday evenings featuring great artists, some of which are very well known. I saw Count Basie at one, and a collaboration of great trumpeters in a quintet called "Trumpet Summit," a newer African-Jazz group called "Kherpa." I missed a few of the other great players that played there, like McCoy Tyner, Irakere, Chucho Valdez, Sonny Rollins, and Joshua Redman. For soem of the performances, we even had box-seats! It was awesome! Chicago really does have benefits if you're a jazz fanatic.
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
The Rippingtons, Spryo Gyra, Lee Ritenour, Manhattan Transfer are some of my favorites, My wife and I have a summer tradition of catching all of them in concert during our "Summer Jazz" concert series.

For cool jazz, (not traditional jazz coolvij...
wink.gif
), these are some of my very favorites. I have all the Rippington's disc and have put together some nice compilations on minidisc.

Jon, my sister lives in San Jose, and has been to some of the same concerts you mention. I envy both of you!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back