Fooling the iPod?
Dec 21, 2008 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yotacowboy

100+ Head-Fier
So i've been readin up a bit on the newish Wadia iTransport. from what i've gathered, the wadia piece fools the ipod (thru some software implementation which *may* include some licensed software...) into providing a direct spdif (or is it i2s?) output from the multipin line out.

Anybody here know if there's any potential for a DIY version? just curious at this point.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 6
It doesn't "fool" anything. This is an implementation completely sanctioned by Apple, with payment of the appropriate licensing fees. Several other manufacturers announced similar products last January, but as far as I can tell none of these other authorized products have ever been brought to market.

There is an interesting trace/teardown of the Wadia available here-- it's not just a case of soldering a couple of wires to the doc to get a digital out.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not just a case of soldering a couple of wires to the doc to get a digital out.

Understood, i'm not interested in this as a solder some wires off pins on a chip type solution - i saw gordon rankin's post to AA regarding the wadia dock, too, but the majority of the details were missing.

mr. rankin mentions a serial command sent to the ipod which allows ISO usb out. I'm interested in better understanding this aspect. can anyone give a quick primer on what's happening with wadia's implementation?

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, no "fooling" involved here.
I doubt Wadia would do so, and risk a lawsuit from Apple. I am 100% they have bought license, software, ... from Apple, and thats is implemented with a blessing from Apple.

Dec 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, no "fooling" involved here.
I doubt Wadia would do so, and risk a lawsuit from Apple. I am 100% they have bought license, software, ... from Apple, and thats is implemented with a blessing from Apple.

As far as I understand what wadia is doing, the dock sends a command to the ipod which tells it that it's connected to a computer with a USB DAC. beyond the semantics of "fooling," what i'm interested in is how this handshake takes place, and whether it's something someone could diy. a simple dock, ps, and a single usb output for a usb dac.

Apple's likely not going to sue anyone for a non-commercial version of this.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple's likely not going to sue anyone for a non-commercial version of this.

Never underestimate the power of a lawyer or the lure of licensing revenue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back