Folk music?
Dec 25, 2005 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

luuk

500+ Head-Fier
Bought a album of the corrs (to be precise: Home) and I discovered I really like the number "old hag". I guess it's a folknumber ( some flute, some sort of drum, guitar and a few other instruments). I really want to get some more of this kind of music, do you've got some suggestions??
Thanks in advance!
Happy holdiays!
Luuk

Dec 25, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't know exactly what kind of folk that is (lots of types of folk music!), but here are my recommendations.

1) Vashti Bunyan
2) Devendra Banhart
3) Espers
4) Joanna Newsom
5) Tenhi

Dec 25, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 15
That Corrs song is more like a traditional Irish jig or something along those lines, so you should probably mention that if you really want that sound. I'd recommend checking out the excellent Lunasa Otherworld CD. Beautiful playing and music and sound. Here's what amazon says ...

Amazon.com
Taking their name from an ancient Celtic harvest festival, Lúnasa are a veritable dream team of Irish musicians whose thrilling groove is found courtesy of former members of the Waterboys and Sharon Shannon's band, on cello, bowed upright bass, and acoustic guitar. Melodies, both poignant and frolicsome, soar on the exceptional wings of fiddle, flute, whistles, and Uilleann pipes. From the warm belly of Celtic tradition, the quartet (rounded out by guest players and piper-whistler Cillian Vallely, a touring member) radiates outward, incorporating elements of jazz improvisation as it swings low and wide, high and tight, delving wholeheartedly into each piece's unique rhythmic pulse. Otherworld, in the unprecedented vernacular of Lúnasa, is nothing short of astonishing. --Paige La Grone

Also if you like vocals, Kate Rusby has an excellent one from last year called Underneath the Stars with about half traditional and half her own songs. Kind of a mix of English and Irish folk music.

Amazon.com
Rusby's fifth solo recording, like previous efforts, boasts a well-crafted selection of original compositions and ancient ballads. While she has rightly been praised for the sheer beauty of her voice--which has never sounded better than on these dozen tracks--her greatest gift may be her ability to choose traditional songs and rework them in subtle and imaginative new ways. She's not afraid to add new words and compose her own melodies to melancholy odes to lost love like "Let Me Be" and "Cruel," which fairly trade emotional intensity for authenticity. Rusby is helped out musically by her husband, Scottish fiddler John McCusker, who produced the CD and helped ensure that every note played by the guitars, citterns, accordions, and flutes is perfectly placed to accent the vocals. Underneath the Stars is not a departure from Rusby's previous work; rather it is a refinement of what she has done before. --Michael John Simmons

For more guitar oriented English folk music, the Hank Dogs did one a few years ago called Bareback that is also outstanding with lots of chiming guitars and vocal harmonies.

Amazon.com's Best of 1999
Combining a rock-solid Fairport Convention-like musical base with sterling vocals and songs, Bareback is an album that extends and undermines the British folk tradition in a fascinating manner. The Hank Dogs are not only the year's most promising folk groups; they're responsible for one of '99's outstanding debuts, regardless of genre. --Steven Stolder

Dec 25, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 15
B00008QS9V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

evil_smiley.gif

Dec 25, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 15
You might like some of the following (in order of recommendation
wink.gif
)

Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief
John Renbourn Group - Maid in Bedlam
Steeleye Span - Hark! The Village Wait (available with some other stuff as a compilation, called 'The Lark in the Morning').

These are all English groups of the 60s and 70s - there was plenty of great folk being made at that time. If its the hardcore instrumental stuff you prefer, you should try something by the Chieftains (lots of cheap anthologies available these days) or perhaps the first (and only decent) album in the 'Morris On' series - that's the English equivalent.

Hope you find something you like, folk is a great genre!

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luuk
Bought a album of the corrs (to be precise: Home) and I discovered I really like the number "old hag". I guess it's a folknumber ( some flute, some sort of drum, guitar and a few other instruments). I really want to get some more of this kind of music, do you've got some suggestions??
Thanks in advance!
Happy holdiays!
Luuk

As a dilettante early flute /recorder player myself, I would suggest recordings by Chris Norman or the group he's often associated with, the Baltimore Consort. (On the audiophile Dorian label, but one may have to look harder as the company has recently gotten out of business.) They specialize in the tradtion of early/folk music in the regions of Appalachian/Maritime Canada/Scotland/Ireland. He now has his own ensemble as well:
http://www.chrisnorman.com/index.html

j6my48.jpg

j6n0k8.jpg

Dec 26, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 15
Ah, that's where anti-flag got his idea from?
Thanks for the input so far!
It's great that this forum has so many members with different kind of music taste/knowledge!
Will check those out at the shop wednesday.
If anybody got more input(of irish folk music, 'cause that's what I guess it is)--> bring it on
biggrin.gif

Luuk

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

If anybody got more input(of irish folk music, 'cause that's what I guess it is)--> bring it on

You might check out Van Morrison's album with the Chieftians, Irish Heartbeat.

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HollisBrown
300px-This_Machine_Kills_Fascists.gif

Hell yes. And that machine does kill fascists -- I seen it work.

PS: If you're starting to explore Irish vocal folk music, The Chieftains' Long Black Veil might be a good place to start. Solid vocals by Sting, MicK Jagger (singing the titled Lefty Frizzell classic - bit out of place) and kooky renegage priest Sinead O'Connor.

Dec 28, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 15
I've heard the track and it is actually quite traditional, with a strong flute part, hence try:

B000040JD0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Long Expectant Comes At Last by Cathal McConnell -- long time flautist of the folk band Boys of the Lough. This album is a collection of unusual breadth: just as you're getting high on the trad numbers, McConnell slips in a few tracks that are almost avant-garde.

(Caveats: the music is not percussion-heavy, so if you're looking for something bombastic, read on. McConnell sings on this album too. While I adore his style of singing, I admit it is not for everyone.)

Fused by Michael McGoldrick -- yes, it is folk-electro fusion, but the electro part is not obtrusive and the folk part is excellent.

I would venture to recommend my number-one hero, Matt Molloy of the Chieftains, but I think his music is more subdued and steadfast than uplifting.

If you're looking for Irish traditional music with a little modern vibe. A few suggestions

1. In My Hands by Natalie MacMaster -- fiddler from Cape Breton, Canada. The music is more Scottish than Irish, but I bet you'll enjoy it anyway.

2. All the albums by Lunasa, a traditional Irish band with an especially strong, almost jazz-like, rhythm section. Start with Redwood.

3. Anything by Old Blind Dogs. Hailed from Scotland, this traditional band blends different percussion effects to Scottish Trad Music to exhilarating effects. Recommendations: Fit?, The World's Room

Users who are viewing this thread

Back