Focal Elex Reliability

Have you had reliability issues with your Focal Elex headphone?

• Broken driver

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Driver distortion

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Broken headband

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Creaking and squeaking

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No issues

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 11
My first one had left driver failure after a few months. Came out of nowhere and I babied the can after the initial 2 week stress test. My replacement is still kicking but sounds clearly different than the original. My first one sounded dark (didn’t start out this way) and then eventually died. The replacement sounds similar but has a more metallic timbre.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 11
My first one had left driver failure after a few months. Came out of nowhere and I babied the can after the initial 2 week stress test. My replacement is still kicking but sounds clearly different than the original. My first one sounded dark (didn’t start out this way) and then eventually died. The replacement sounds similar but has a more metallic timbre.
Interesting the difference in sound between the two. Were you able to warranty through DROP?

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 11
I agree with that statement. Just starting down the nicer headphone path. Do all Focals do this? I think I would not be happy dropping 4k on a headphone and have it do that.
Oh yes, even the Utopia has this issue... The creaking and the insane price they ask for their replacement pads are 2 of Focal's major downsides for me. Never had any Focal I have owned break or stop working but I think all of them have creaked/are creaking... Their sound signature makes up for it imo :)

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 11
I think the creaking is normal for focal headphones. Its the design of the headband.

But i can't hear it creak while its on my head only when handling them.

Jun 11, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 11
Interesting the difference in sound between the two. Were you able to warranty through DROP?
Yes, Drop took care of it and it was smooth, other than the usual waiting time. I think Andrew (Resolve) also speculated that unit to unit variability might be more significant with the Elex.

I can tell you definitively that the ear pads were all variable between the three pairs I have felt - the one that came in the broken pair and the spare I bought from Drop were more softer and more pliant whereas the one that’s on my functioning Elex is much firmer and slightly thicker.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 11
The Elex are only 399 now on headphones.com and they are an amazing value. I was so curious how they stack up to their big brothers the Clear and Clear Mg that I bought all 3. Kept the Elex, and not because of the price! The Mg is lacking liveliness relative to the others, seems to me that the highs are muted. Clear is a little better (clearer sounding due to lack of a grain in the treble) than Elex but I bought a used one and preferred to have my brand new Elex instead since the sound was so similar.

No issues at all with reliability.

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 11
Focal creaking is an easy fix with the silicone spray. Buy a can with a long, thin arm or whatever. 8 short squirts, 4 on each side and you should be done for life.
36-4504_xl_1.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Are replacement pads for the Elex available in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back