Focal Elegia EQ help
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

freeshoes

New Head-Fier
Recently took advantage of the Elegia deal on Adorama and I am attempting to use EQ (Equalizer APO) to tweak them a little. I am new to EQ and while I have messed around with it a bit the sound is still very airy and a bit hollow. I prefer a V shaped sound and while they sound fine to me per frequency, the sound is not as rich as I would expect. Is this something that I can fix with EQ or is this just the sound of the cans themselves? Its almost like there is some amount of built in reverb that I dont care for. Curious what you guys could suggest here.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 4
the sound is not as rich as I would expect. Is this something that I can fix with EQ or is this just the sound of the cans themselves?
Their stock tuning is too mid-forward that it sounds like an old radio being played when I had them - causing timbre to sound unnatural for most instruments and vocals. It can be alleviated to great extent with EQ (which I mentioned in my review of them) and can sound close to their excellent open-back Focal Clear. There's definitely some reverb in the midrange that for the most part is addressed by EQ, but when I had them, couldn't quite get rid of them completely and sometimes shows up on certain parts of songs.

You could use the points used by AutoEQ here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Focal Elegia

From there, you could either just follow the stock EQ profile, or be like me and set all points to flat and adjust each point from there by ear.

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Recently took advantage of the Elegia deal on Adorama and I am attempting to use EQ (Equalizer APO) to tweak them a little. I am new to EQ and while I have messed around with it a bit the sound is still very airy and a bit hollow. I prefer a V shaped sound and while they sound fine to me per frequency, the sound is not as rich as I would expect. Is this something that I can fix with EQ or is this just the sound of the cans themselves? Its almost like there is some amount of built in reverb that I dont care for. Curious what you guys could suggest here.
i had this same issue, i found this video

and used his EQ Profile, which i like.

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 4
An easy way is with APO and Peace equalizer/front end. Peace has an Autoeq button, and you can pick your model off the list and try the profiles. Saves a ton of data entry and can always tweak it from there.
I had those and they need eq, but very stylish design and comfortable. The treble rolloff was too polite, but at the time I had several bright Beyerdynamics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back