Focal Clear-Should I worry or not?
May 17, 2020 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Thegreatroberto

New Head-Fier
Hi
So I've been a lurker for a while and finally got an account. So, please go easy on me for the first week or so at least.

During lockdown I've taken the opportunity to clear out a load (via Ebay ) of a lot of my old Musical Fidelity X series stuff. And that includes my 2 sets of X-cans and 2 sets of X-canV2's.
Always been a fan of listening via headphones, (avoids conversations from my children and wife about my music choice amongst other things).......

So, I took the unusual step of buying a new headphone amp without testing it. Partially due to lockdown. I used the funds from the above sales. I bought a Violectric 281.

But my question is more about what headphones to pair with it. So, I'm trying a pair of Focal Clears, via the XLR balanced. input. And wow, they are very good. And so they parented with the 281 should be.

But (finally) here is my question.............Should I be worried about how grubby the pads and headband will get with the Clear?

I'm trialling a pair and the grey is already looking grubby. I can only imagine what they will look like it 12 months time.
So yes, you can buy spares pads ( £80 ea I'm told!) but not a headband.
And yes, they do the "Pro" version that has red pads and headband but that will also look grubby ( but at lest they come with a spare set of pads)

Can they be band and pads be cleaned, or should I not worry?

Help/thoughts before I purchase a set (most likely the Pro version)

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 9
I looked at getting the Focal Clears, but ended up getting the Focal Elears. They suited me better, sound wise. I like the Focal range as I think they are very good looking. I have read on other posts about keeping the Focal Clears clean, which was something I didn’t even consider. If you like Focals, try the Elears as they are a darker colour and maybe won’t get so grubby with use.

Hi
So I've been a lurker for a while and finally got an account. So, please go easy on me for the first week or so at least.

During lockdown I've taken the opportunity to clear out a load (via Ebay ) of a lot of my old Musical Fidelity X series stuff. And that includes my 2 sets of X-cans and 2 sets of X-canV2's.
Always been a fan of listening via headphones, (avoids conversations from my children and wife about my music choice amongst other things).......

So, I took the unusual step of buying a new headphone amp without testing it. Partially due to lockdown. I used the funds from the above sales. I bought a Violectric 281.

But my question is more about what headphones to pair with it. So, I'm trying a pair of Focal Clears, via the XLR balanced. input. And wow, they are very good. And so they parented with the 281 should be.

But (finally) here is my question.............Should I be worried about how grubby the pads and headband will get with the Clear?

I'm trialling a pair and the grey is already looking grubby. I can only imagine what they will look like it 12 months time.
And yes, they do the "Pro" version that has red pads and headband but that will also look grubby ( but at lest they come with a spare set of pads)

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 9
The pads can be replaced and the headband can be, well, protected. Another poster here wrapped the band with what looked like a knitted cozy around theirs.

I've had my Clears since December last year and the headband is definitely getting darker, likely because of hair grease so I definitely regret not thinking about protecting it sooner. The pads still look relatively new though, still using the originals.

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi

Yeah that's my only complaint with the clears. I don't use them that much because the pads seem to get more grubby with every listen. And yes I am hygienic lol. It was a bad decision on focals part.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 9
I ended up buying the pro version with the red band and cups. Mainly as the dark red was not going to look too bad. And the pro cam with a spare set of cups in red also.
The head band is ok after 2 months of use. But will look grubby after say 24 months use.
A definite design flaw in my opinion. And not something that can be changed ( unlike the cups).
The pro version was my dealers idea. Not so nothing I had seen actively advertised. It came with a spare set if red cups and a 5m curly single ended cable. I bought seperately the balanced cable, which I use at all times.
The red rather than the gray is more tolerant to dirty marks though.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 9
just think of it as a feature not a bug- like those indicator bristles on a toothbrush
every headphone gets grubby pads, but now you can clearly see how grubby!

also at least you can order OEM parts... with too many headphones that is not an option

if you don't mind some changes to the sound signature there's also the option of ordering less visibly grub-accumulating aftermarket pads from dekoni etc...

I have the Pro as well... this thread was a good reminder that I should wrap that headband up :dizzy_face:

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 9
I have the Clear Pro, but I know people who have the same problem with the standard Clear. They attempted to put on a ZMF Co-Pilot pad with the Focals, but it won't work.

As for other pad options, the Dekoni pads kind of change the sound of the Clears a little bit, maybe worth a try. The Elex pads go on sale on Drop every now and then, but they sell out (and hopefully send out a complete pair of pads). I've also 3D printed a mount to try a ZMF Universe Suede, the resulting sound wasn't my taste.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 9
I've had my Clears since last summer and it's looking pretty dirty. I tried to clean them once but it didn't really do much. Definitely a design flaw.

I have had a set of Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads in my Amazon wish list for months now. But at $89 I just can't bring myself to do it, especially since it has only been 1 year. That's pretty lame to need replacement parts already.

But am I sorry I got the Clears? No, not at all. They really sound great, and suit me very well. They're my only HPs that I never feel the need to eq. And so clean. They really sound about perfect to me. They don't have a huge stage I guess, but that's not terribly important to me. I can still clearly hear everything, individually. So I'm content to take the bad with the good. And eventually try those Dekoni replacement pads, I'm sure.

Speaking of which: which version of the Dekoni pads do people like most? I'm leaning hybrid for for max comfort and sharp looks, but not sure.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 9
I've had my Pros since December and the red is a little discolored on the pads and band. I listen to them everyday. I've seen some people in the Clear thread do different things to clean them though I haven't tried any of their recommendations. I have thought about asking a local dry cleaner if there was anything they could do without ruining the pads. I may look into it this weekend and see what they say. Fortunately for the Pros. They come with spare pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back