Focal Arche too soft?
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gorf

100+ Head-Fier
After a hospital stay, I am now back at home listening to my music. The Arche & pc were both turned off for a few months, but I get the feeling that I never used to need to dial my Arche to 48 for regular listening. Output is from my PC at volume 100% via WASAPI (Winamp). Connection from PC to Arche is via USB. Utopias are OEM balanced cable. Have I messed up a setting? The volume seems fine through my mobile setup (Cowan Plenue +Mojo).

The Arche is set to "Utopia" & the front panel reads "Low".

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 5
is it in low gain perhaps? I know nothing about the Arche sorry :p

Also depending on source a lot of audio mixed for phones is just louder to compensate for phone speakers or low power I guess, could be possible phone just has louder line level I guess (are you using an iPhone dongle?)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I'm not using a phone though. Desktop is FLAC, WASAPI, Arche, balanced OEM Utopias. Mobile is FLAC, Cowon Plenue, Mojo, non-balanced OEM Utopias.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, I'm not using a phone though. Desktop is FLAC, WASAPI, Arche, balanced OEM Utopias. Mobile is FLAC, Cowon Plenue, Mojo, non-balanced OEM Utopias.
sorry I am dumb
(Cowan Plenue +Mojo)

From the Focal manual
Not sure if this helps but
"GAIN: Allows you to adjust the output gain. There are two possible options: HIGH or LOW. We recommend that you use 'LOW' mode with Focal headphones, and with any headphones with an impedance of less than 150 ohms."

I have heard people on here complain uncompressed sources were mixed low. check the volume of whatever file + player on PC vs youtube, could be the file or the player, be careful with youtube it can be a big delta in volume

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks, I will review a few more albums to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back