FLUX M-Field Class-A MOSFET headphone amplifier.
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ichos

Reviewer at hxosplus
This is a thread for discussing about the new Flux Lab headphone amplifier, the M-Field.

IMG-20240219-WA0000.jpg

SAVE_20240220_200548.jpg

SAVE_20240220_200543.jpg

The M-Field is a brand new headphone amplifier by Flux Lab Acoustics. Although it has been developed in parallel with the Mentor, it has its own distinctive sonic characteristics. M-field is part of the same family as the Mentor and has a similar option for synchronizing two units.

The model uses MOSFET transistors in the output stage and has a unique sound signature and tuning. The sound is characterized by a darker tone and a thicker, fuller sound in the low frequency range. The sound has a smoothness, a certain intimacy that is characteristic of MOSFET-based devices, with an impressive volume of soundstage.

Main features :

- High-power class-A MOSFET output stage
- J-FET input stage
- Supply voltage 70 Volts
- Individual power supply for each channel
- 64-step relay volume attenuator
- Premium components: Nichicon, Wima, Takman, CDE, PRP etc.

- The price is $1299 for a single unit with the mono input included and $2599 for a dual mono stack.

A limited time, pre-sales offer is available and it will cost you $1,199 for a single unit with the mono input and $2,399 for a dual mono stack.

Important note

The M-Field is not just a stripped down version of the Mentor. This is a whole new amplifier with a different tuning and sound signature. This is made to be a high-end, solid state alternative to a tube amplifier.

The circuit inside might look simpler but it is not. The M-Field features the same high quality parts as the Mentor. The toroidal transformer is only one but it is bigger, with a very complex design and is more expensive to manufacture than the transformer of the Mentor. Additionally the power supply is of the same quality as the Mentor.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 15
Oh, snap. A new contender enters the arena.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 15
The sound is characterized by a darker tone and a thicker, fuller sound in the low frequency range. The sound has a smoothness, a certain intimacy that is characteristic of MOSFET-based devices, with an impressive volume of soundstage.
This is very tempting and might be more up my alley compared to the mentor. I just need to patiently wait for reviews now :smirk:

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 15
Looks interesting to me, lose out a bit of detail.. gain a bit of warmth. Wish they had a US operation for easy trials.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 15
M-field vs Mentor, asked FLUX via email specifically for HD800

"The Mentor sounds excellent with the HD800, but in our opinion, these headphones reveal better where the low frequencies are fuller and the timbre is smoother. It is also important that the mid frequencies are a little more accentuated, this will add emotion. The HD800 simply sounds great with our new M-Field model. The synergy between this model and the HD800 is definitely superior in our opinion. The model should be on sale soon, and there will be a small discount at the beginning of sales. The cost of the amplifier is similar to Mentor."

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 15
Looks interesting to me, lose out a bit of detail.. gain a bit of warmth. Wish they had a US operation for easy trials.
Curious if an emphasis on the low end warmth actually translates to losing out on detail?

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 15
Guess we shall see when people get their hands on both. Personally I'd love a Mentor loaner or something. Get some members hands on it to build a review base.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 15
Man…if I didn’t already have the MJ3 I would have jumped right on this. Considering my OCD self I would have gotten the stack too. But now I’m too poor for another stack. :sob: 🫠

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #11 of 15
The M-Field looks like it will be launching/in-stock sometime in the second week of May, from one of the talks I had with Flux. Does not seem like there will be a pre-sale discount, if that's the case. Will try and confirm.

Edit: Discount will be for two months when product releases.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 15
The M-Field looks like it will be launching/in-stock sometime in the second week of May
If anybody brave enough to order with location reasonable close to west Slovakia - I'm in for comparative session with Mentor :). Sadly my yearly budget for headamp shopping experiments is gone. And next year this might not be available anymore.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 15
If anybody brave enough to order with location reasonable close to west Slovakia - I'm in for comparative session with Mentor :). Sadly my yearly budget for headamp shopping experiments is gone. And next year this might not be available anymore.
Im not really feeling any FOMO at all about M-Field but I am curious how it will sound. Mentor / Yggy OG pairing is so perfect I wouldn't change a thing at this point (except the occasional Headphone purchase). Something tells me it will sound more like a MJ3.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 15
I do think Flux should just bring their stuff to a CanJam and allow people to audition there. The Mentor is heavenly as it is. People can compare it to other amps with similar sound signatures like the MK 465 and Zahl HM-1. I like how the Mentor made Asian female vocals have no sibilance and great to listen to, much like the MK’s ability.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 15
Oh they absolutely should

Users who are viewing this thread

Back