Flux Lab Acoustics FA-10, FA-10 Pro, FA-12, FCN-10 & FA-12s Amplifiers - Summit-Fi for the People?: Reviews, Impressions & Discussion
May 8, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #16 of 2,598
congrats, did you manage to get your order in before they ran out of stock? My fa12 is hopefully on it’s way. Not sure how long shipping from Ukraine to UK will take, as you say the wait is painful, but likewise I’m not going anywhere either :wink:
Why did you go for the FA12 not the FA10 ?

May 8, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #17 of 2,598
Why did you go for the FA12 not the FA10 ?

I was initially interested in the FA10 having seen both the soundnews and Headfonia reviews, but on speaking to Vitaliy at FLA at some length about my preferences and kit, he recommended the FA12. I intend to use it with Focal Elegia and Senn HD820 neither of which are hard to drive despite the Hd820s being rated 300ohm, so i dont need the power of the FA12. The other deciding factor is that i was looking to partner with my Hugo2, which i love but if had to find fault, it would be the slight dryness and ever so slight hard edges in upper mids-treble. I use to partner it and my TT2 with a feliks audio euforia ae OTL amp, but with the recent world events i had to scale back my system, to make up for my clients not buying the films a i make, so the TT2 and Euforia had to go. The Euforia brought just the right amount of warmth/wetness to the chord house sound, without any or negligible loss of resolution and from what Vitaliy says the FA12 will do just that and has more than enough power for my HPs. I like dynamic driver HP's so its likely driving any future purchases shouldnt be an issue either.

There is of course also the option to pair it with a balanced source in the future too, but as i say this wasnt really a factor in my decision making, it more came down to the desired colour that the FA12 will bring to my existing set-up. If there needed to be clincher, then the high end features like the volume control and equally high end componentry all of which i've not seen at this price point, pushed me over the edge!

May 10, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 2,598
I got to hear the Solid One back in the day with mostly the Hifiman HE1K headphones and that was a Solid One for sure :)
They are saying that this is an even better, and it's the same amplifier section across their hybrid solutions, including the Atlas.
So yeah, interesting.

May 10, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #21 of 2,598
congrats, did you manage to get your order in before they ran out of stock? My fa12 is hopefully on it’s way. Not sure how long shipping from Ukraine to UK will take, as you say the wait is painful, but likewise I’m not going anywhere either :wink:
Thanks so much. Unfortunately, by the time I finished the order it was already out stock and it was on back order. So it is going to take one month or so for me. It’s a bummer as my Susvara has arrived already and I can’t wait for FA-10. Let us know when your FA-12 arrives and please share your experience and feedback. Congratulations to you as well :)

May 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #22 of 2,598
Thanks so much. Unfortunately, by the time I finished the order it was already out stock and it was on back order. So it is going to take one month or so for me. It’s a bummer as my Susvara has arrived already and I can’t wait for FA-10. Let us know when your FA-12 arrives and please share your experience and feedback. Congratulations to you as well :)

I feel your pain and will do:)

May 12, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #23 of 2,598
I have just received my Hifiman HE6se, I wonder if FA-10 would be better than Audio GD Master 19 : both are class A, on paper FA-10 seems more powerful (2x10.5w at 50 ohm, numbers provided to me by Flux team) vs Audio GD Master 19 (2x9w at 40 ohm). Nothing is said about current provided, more important for me than W.

Interesting is the inner view of both amps:

FA10:
962B4ACF-0C75-45BB-B06B-9411E09448D9.jpeg

Master 19:
3BAA47B0-5C3D-4602-8D36-BA7BCD1B45F3.jpeg

Well, I’m not in electronic, however design of FA10 is more simple, Master 19 has more transfo, more capa, etc, and still FA10 is more powerful : what do you think about this ? Flux engineers are clever ? or maybe this is because Master 19 is balanced, but FA10 is still more powerful on paper.

May 12, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 2,598
Nothing is said about current provided, more important for me than W.
You can calculate current from power and impedance. https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2014/03/power-voltage-current-resistance-pvir-calculator.html
what do you think about this ? Flux engineers are clever ?
The FA10 seems to be a refined speaker amp. The output transistors look bigger than the ones used in the Master 19. To me seems like Audio-GD had an objective different than raw power.

May 12, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #25 of 2,598
I think also this is because the FA-10 is just single ended so naturally the AudioGD will have more in terms of parts being fully balanced. From power supply to amplification including the relay volume control will all be double that of the FA10. I have confirmed the single ended design from Flux.

May 13, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #26 of 2,598

I don’t think current provided depends of the headphone impedance.

For example the Cayin iHA-6 amp provide a high current mode useful for planar headphones : at 32 ohm, the Cayin provide 7w at low current and 5w at high current.

Given your link, there is more current at 7w than 5w, which is not the case for the Cayin.

It would be nice if someone from Flux can provide more useful info about their amp design....

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #27 of 2,598
I don’t think current provided depends of the headphone impedance.

For example the Cayin iHA-6 amp provide a high current mode useful for planar headphones : at 32 ohm, the Cayin provide 7w at low current and 5w at high current.

Given your link, there is more current at 7w than 5w, which is not the case for the Cayin.

It would be nice if someone from Flux can provide more useful info about their amp design....
More power = more current, it's a fact based on how current and power are defined. Either the specs of the Cayin are wrong, or their definition of "high current" refers to something else.

May 13, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #28 of 2,598
More power = more current, it's a fact based on how current and power are defined. Either the specs of the Cayin are wrong, or their definition of "high current" refers to something else.

4w = 1v x 4A
8w = 8v x 1A

I would take the amp that provide 4A instead of the one that provide 8w

May 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #30 of 2,598
Well I have ordered FA-10 for my HE6se, I have plenty of expectations. Should receive it in 6 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back