Flute playing bands.
Feb 8, 2002 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I've always liked the band Enigma and especially like the flute playing on some of their songs. Are there any other bands that play music like this. I'm really looking for anybody that plays the flute like they do.

Feb 9, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 12
well, they're quite different from enigma, but jethro tull's ian anderson plays a killer rock flute. the guy is a virtuoso. if you don't belive me check out their song "the whistler" from "songs from the wood". i knew a classical flautist who said she had a hard time playing the solo from that song at anderson's speed.

Feb 9, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Well, from ENIGMA I have only the album The Screen Behind the Mirror, and must confess I can’t identify any real flute in the music of the band. But I can assure you something, if you enjoy this particular recording, I’m absolutely sure you’ll love MIKE OLDFIELD’s The Songs of Distant Earth.

Feb 9, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 12
I like Love & Rockets' parody of Jethro Tull better than Jethro Tull themselves
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
(...)jethro tull's ian anderson plays a killer rock flute. the guy is a virtuoso(...)

Totally agreed. Some other excellent flute-driven prog rock bands that come to mind at the moment are FOCUS (The Netherlands), P.F.M. and QUELLA VECCHIA LOCANDA (Italy), LOS JAIVAS (Chile), SOLARIS (Hungary) and TEMPEST (UK). There are still those bands/artists whose music is more relaxing, with dreamy flute playing, and among these some of my personal favorites are JADE WARRIOR, DEUTER and IONA.

Feb 9, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 12
I don't know in general any flute playing bands besides Jethro Tull (highly recommended -- check out the recent remaster of Stand Up with the classic, "Bouree'") and PFM, but here's a couple albums that contain some flute playing in at least one of the songs:

Golden Earring - Moontan (don't remember which track, but I know it's one of the two on side 2; there's an import remaster)
Nightwish - Wishmaster (one of the songs has a flute solo)
Joe Walsh - You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind (Jay Ferguson has a memorable solo during my favourite version of his signature song, "Turn to Stone")

If you want some tango/classical flute playing, there's an Astor Piazzolla record with a flautist featured prominently, I forget the name of it, though, sorry. :frowning2: History of something? No, he's got something else entirely different called "History of the Tango", that's not it. Hold on...alright, it is called Histoire du Tango, but make sure you get the right version, I think the cover was white with a girl (the flautist) featured prominently, and a guy further in the background...let me know if you want me to look for it...otherwise will leave it at that...

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 12
I really dig the flute player for Dave Matthews. I just finished listening to Crash, and there's some pretty swell licks in there (Lover Lay Down, particularly).

Feb 11, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 12
Shadow Gallery, a prog metal group, makes use of flute a bit in their softer, more balladesque songs. Try - Don't ever cry, just remember and Alaska.

Feb 12, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 12
Speaking of flutes...anybody ever hear a shakuhachi flute before? Check out Keiko Matsui - The Wind and the Wolf to hear the shakuhachi, it sounds damn nice. An incredible sounding instrument IMO.

Feb 12, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 12
To be honest I hardly know Enigma, however I do know some Chill Out with really nice flutes. The first album I can really recommend is "Are You Shpongled?" by Shpongle, on which 6 of 7 songs have parts with a flute in it. Their second Album "Tales of the Inexpressible" also has some flutes (overall it's less ambient, though), you might especially want to check out the last track on it, "Flute Fruit".

Feb 12, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 12
The Golden Earring track is "Big Tree Blue Sea". A lot of their earlier albums (early 70's) feature flute. Also, check out Canadian band Garfield, they had a full time flute player on their first two LP's "Strange Streets" and "Out There Tonight". Good luck finding them though, unless you're in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back