Flagship IEM Recommendations
Oct 31, 2014 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JupiterM

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been looking for a good flagship-level IEM, and I need your help. Currently I have an Etymotic ER4. It's good; it has really beautiful highs and mid-highs, and the noise isolation is perfect. However, there are two things that make me want to look for a better choice: the microphonic, which is bad even with the clip, and the somewhat dry sound signature and lack of bass (I'm not a bassy person, but the ER4 just becomes a little boring after listening to it for a while). So now I wish to find a good IEM that can satisfy most of my demands.

My preferences: (in descending order of importance)
1. Sound quality: An overall clear, neutral sound, can be a little mid-high prone (I listen to classics and piano solos most of the time, though I do listen to pop, dance and other genres as well), but shouldn't be too compromised in the bass region; preferably has a relatively warmer signature; good sound stage presentation, especially for large orchestra.
2. Isolation: good noise isolation is preferable.
2. (With equal importance as comfort)Comfort: should be comfortable for long time listening (2-3 hours), with no or little microphonic.
3. Support for in-line control and mic (optional).

What I have researched so far:
1. AKG K3003i (I like it's design and it's in-line control support)
2. Shure SE846 (it has pretty good noise isolation)
3. Westone UM Pro 50 & W60
4. Sennheiser IE800
Any other good options are welcome.
As for the price range, under or around $1000 is all acceptable.

So far what I've found and some questions I have:
1. According to what I've read in the forum, it seems that the AKG K3003i does not perform too well on mobile phones alone (i.e., w/o amps), is it true? Will it perform at least on par with other flagship IEMs assuming on the same mobile device, e.g., an iPhone?
2. Almost all the impression threads, reviews and comparisons I've read has more focus on the bass performance of these IEMs, I didn't really see too much discussion about how these IEMs perform in terms of overall balance, trebles. (There ARE, but not as much and as detailed as the discussion of bass). So can someone tell me more about that aspect of these IEMs?
3. Are these IEMs generally more bass-emphasized? At least so far I've heard the IE800 seems really bass based even with the bass at its lowest configuration.
4. This may be a noob question, but what's the difference between the Westone UM Pro series and the W series?

Any other suggestions are welcome as long as you can provide some detailed insight as to why it's suitable for my preferences.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back