Fixing Vertical Headphones-- Sony MDR-A30G-- a worthwhile endeavor?
Oct 21, 2001 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello! I just found a pair of relatively old Vertical Sony headphones, the MDR-A30G. I listened to them, and my KSC-35's seem to whoop 'em, but they were my Dad's, and he wants a set of Vertical Headphones to run with, and he won't consider earbuds. Anyways, the left channel of these things isn't working, and, near as I can tell, teh problem isn't in the plug or the wire, so it should be in the driver itself. How would I go about patching this up? Also, more than that, *is* this one of those good, classic vertical headphones, and thereby a worthwhile endeavor to fix the damn things or one of the new, crappy kinds, and I should just get another equally crappy model, brand new?

Oct 21, 2001 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 5
If you've listened to them, and they're much worse than your KSC-35's, then I think you can determine for yourself if the MDR-A30G are "one of those good, classic vertical headphones." Unless there's an obvious and easy fix, I'd probably just buy a new set, since they're very cheap compared to most of the headphones mentioned in the forums.

Oct 21, 2001 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 5
True, true, but I thought that maybe the better vertical ones would still suck compared to my 35's. Anyways, what's the best vertical headphone out there? I hear that Radio Shack has a good one....which is that one?

Oct 25, 2001 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Gluegun, the MDR-A30G is still currently in production - they list for $20, but the mid-bass is kinda boomy and the mids and highs kinda suck. Still better than any of those Sony StreetStyle pieces of crap - but nonetheless gets whooped by the Koss Porta-thingamajigs and their derivatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back