First Turntable...
Nov 3, 2007 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

J.D.N

500+ Head-Fier
So im getting a TT for christmas, it will be my first. I have collected vinyl for a while and always used my dads Garrard 401. However now im not at home much any more i need my own. I have a rough budget of £250-£300 (pretty rough for now but a good starting point).

I have very little idea about TT's so im looking to you guys for guidance. So far this is what im looking at:

Rega P1 ... Ortofon OM5e moving magnet cartridge ... Rega RB100 tonearm
Rega P2 ... the classic RB250 tonearm
Thorens TD 170-1 ... Ortofon OMB-10 phono cartridge
Pro-Ject Debut Mk3 Esprit ... Ortofon Alpha Cartridge
Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Mk3 ... Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge

Obviously there is a price range there, will i notice a difference in sound quality within such a small price range? Also, should i be looking at upgrade possibilities, are some tables more upgradeable than others?

Cheers

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 15
Any of those tables will be good, but in all cases you'll want to upgrade the cartridge as soon as you can afford to.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 15
Of those, I would steer you towards the Rega P2, based mostly on it having a better arm.

But as Skylab said, any of those would be a good one to start with.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of those tables will be good, but in all cases you'll want to upgrade the cartridge as soon as you can afford to.

Skylab, I have a fairly low end audio technica TT that has served me well for the price. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade the cartridge and how can I tell if the new cartridge is compatible? For instance can I get a Shure or Grado cartridge?

Thanks...

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 15
What AT cartridge is it? They make some nice ones, you might need to spend a couple hundred dollars to get much better. The Denon or Benz Micro entry-level high-output moving coils might be a good place to start.

Good matching does depend some on the compliance of the cartridge and arm, but if both are medium, you should be fine...

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Im looking around at phono stages at the moment, im going to have to go budget for now, so looking for a little more advice.

I think the Graham Slee BRIDGE represents the upper limit of my budget. But then it only accepts MM input. Would i notice the difference between the GS and say the Pro-Ject Phono Box II?

I guess if i am only going to use MM cartridges it doesn't matter about having an MC switch, but should i leave my self open to the option?

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 15
I prefer MC cartridges, but it's an expensive path to do right.

I've never heard either of those phono stages though so can't really help there.

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #9 of 15
j.d.n,
don't buy new, buy s/hand. Unless Rega has changed dramatically, the bearings in their decks are crap.

Look for a Technics SL1200, either the original or one made later. Be careful of buying from failed DJs. The arm is not bad and look to buy a cartridge from Ebay/UK - Pickering XV-15 625E - I use this myself in preference to many more expensive cartridges. This maybe outside your budget at the moment but @ £79 + 2 spare stylii, this is about 6 years vinyl listening.

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im looking around at phono stages at the moment, im going to have to go budget for now, so looking for a little more advice.

I think the Graham Slee BRIDGE represents the upper limit of my budget. But then it only accepts MM input. Would i notice the difference between the GS and say the Pro-Ject Phono Box II?

I guess if i am only going to use MM cartridges it doesn't matter about having an MC switch, but should i leave my self open to the option?

I just mentioned in another post how my Hagerman Bugle knocked my Graham Fanfare out of my system.The only new sub $500 phono stage that might have a chance of outperforming the Bugle is another DIY kit.BTW I use a Technics 1200 MKII with an Origin Live Silver tonearm as my main turntable.

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd rather say that any of these would be ok - aside from the Thorens, which is just a very basic Dual in disguise.

J.D.N.: Does it have to be a new table? Going used would buy you a lot more for your budget - or alternatively let you save quite a bit.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Well it will be a christmas present from my parents, and they would like it to be new.

To be honest, i think those tables fit in the best with my current system, it's not the most audiophile. Im going to upgrade the lot once im out of uni.

I guess is there any reason NOT to buy one of those TT's?

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 15
Yes, there is. It will begin a long spell of compulsive record buying
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 15
Haha, thats already started! I've been collecting vinyl for quite a while but now im not at home really any more, need my own TT!

And spending money is fun, very very fun. And hey, i get to listen to my money allllll the time
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So im getting a TT for christmas, it will be my first. I have collected vinyl for a while and always used my dads Garrard 401. However now im not at home much any more i need my own. I have a rough budget of £250-£300 (pretty rough for now but a good starting point).

I have very little idea about TT's so im looking to you guys for guidance. So far this is what im looking at:

Rega P1 ... Ortofon OM5e moving magnet cartridge ... Rega RB100 tonearm
Rega P2 ... the classic RB250 tonearm
Thorens TD 170-1 ... Ortofon OMB-10 phono cartridge
Pro-Ject Debut Mk3 Esprit ... Ortofon Alpha Cartridge
Pro-Ject 1 Xpression Mk3 ... Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge

Obviously there is a price range there, will i notice a difference in sound quality within such a small price range? Also, should i be looking at upgrade possibilities, are some tables more upgradeable than others?

Cheers

Since you have first hand experience with the heavy duty tank like Garrard 401,I think you will be disappointed with all of the fairly light weight belt drive turntables on your list.They all have fairly modern tonearm designs but will ultimately fall short of the Garrard.The Technics 1200 MKII is arguably every bit as good as a Garrard rim drive but its stock tonearm is not as refined as the ones on your list.If you are going to upgrade later,The Technics tonearm can be easily changed to to a Rega 250 or something better.There would never be a valid reason ever to sell a Technics 1200 for any upgrade desires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back