First ever amp...
Jun 15, 2002 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

5th_Ghostbuster

New Head-Fier
I've ALMOST completely made up my mind, and think I'm gonna buy my first high end headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s, with the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros being a distant second choice at this point. I'm also looking for an amp, and am leaning towards a JMT or a Porta Corda (HeadRoom products are too expensive to get into Canada, I hear, so they're out). What sort of specs should I ask JMT to make for my amp, if I choose to go to him? Do I need crossover in my JMT? Do Jan and JMT supply the connecting cable? Are JMTs and Porta Cordas compatable with ac/dc adaptors? What voltage would be best suited for the 250s (9V sound better, 4.5V battery saver, right?)? Which would be best for using with multiple phones (I plan to buy the Beyers first, but maybe a pair of Grados down the road)? If I buy from Jan Meier, his site sells the 250-50s for only 5 bucks more than the 250-80s, if I remember right. Is that a better headphone with the Porta Corda?

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Well, I can only talk about MY JMT CHA47 and what JMT did for me...

Mine was originally for use with my MDR-V6 (63 ohms vs 80 ohms for the DT250-80s) and it has 6db of gain... 9v fits into a little Altoids tin, and would be better than swapping over the three AA cells every other day... I believe, although it wasn't an option that I wanted, that you can have an AC/DC connector on the unit... I don't think that you get a jack-jack plug, but a starter one is inexpensive, and available from RatShack or the like.

If you wanna know more, drop JMT a pm, he is one of the most accomodating people i've ever had the pleasure of meeting (well... chatting to
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks

Jun 15, 2002 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 4
How is the sound quality of one of JMT's amps compared to the Total Airhead - I have Etymotic ER-4P.

Preferable? Does JMT have any crossfeed cirrcuits?

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 4
The thing about JMT's amps is he can build you anything you want (so it can come with acrossfeed). Of course the more complex the higher the price. I would be curious about a Blockhead clone from JMT. :wink:

I would venture to say that a JMT-build amp could smoke a TAH and the TAH could blow it away. It all depends on the listener's setup and what amp JMT built. I don't think it's too far a stretch to say that one would be happer overall with a JMT amp over a TAH becase the amp would be built *for* you. JMT will ask you things about your headphones and source so it can be better tweaked to your setup. The TAH has to be everything to everyone and thus comprimises are made.

Don't get me wrong, the TAH is a fine product it's just that the JMT is built just for you on your equipment and I think that usually leads to a happier customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back