First Amp (Clueless)
Apr 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
Though I've tried to pick up what I can here and there about headphone amps, my knowledge is unreliable at best. I'm not even 100% sure I am posting in the right forum. :x I'm actually not planning to use this thing with a DAP or anything. Just going for something small-ish and cheap-ish. Probably will not even be purchasing it immediately unless it's $50 or less.

I basically need something that can add volume, some bass extension (my source atm suffers in that area) and whatever else it is that amps do. Something with it's own volume nob would be really nifty. And optical (Toslink) input is mandatory.

The phones I will be using it with are AD700 (could really use some bass help), Grado SR60, ATH-A700 (the closed ones) and maybe my PX-100 and CX300 if it's portable enough.

Thank you for any input/enlightenment. I have been having a hell of a time trying to get my PC setup all together and working.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 5
An amp with optical in = amp-DAC (digital to analog converter) combo. I have never seen any of those at less than $50. There are cheap amps, but they need an analog signal to be fed in. In addition, most of the cheap amp-DAC combos are USB, because they are aimed to laptops and computer users. In example: Ibasso

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 5
so the DAC + Amp combo will sound better than just using the Computer Sound card into Amp? For those with Dual Capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back