Finding the "right" DAC
Aug 5, 2003 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Iron_Dreamer

Sponsor: Audeze
Landscape-Photo-Fi
Organizer for Can Jam '09
I am looking at a source upgrade, and being somewhat tied to my computer, it seems I will need a quality DAC.

#1 I've read about the ART DI/O, but it seems to me that its' output quality is susceptible to jitter through the coax digital connection, so it would appear that a better option would be a DAC with optical input, right?

#2 Also, a DAC that controls the clock (instead of the soundcard) also seems to be beneficial to sound quality, from what I've read. Is the ART capable of this (in conjunction with a compatible soundcard like the AP 24/96)? If so, would that make #1 a moot point?

#3 other reasonably cheap DAC's I've seen with good reviews include the MSB Link II/III and Channel Islands (forgot the model #), which both have optical in, but can they clock the soundcard as well?

In the end, what I'm looking for is a DAC that can be had used for less than $300 or so, with the least amount of jitter suseptibility (i.e. issues #1 and 2), and the best quality output (upsampling and whatnot being a bonus if possible.) So, what is eveyone's advice?

(Ignore the GTXP in my profile, I would use the DAC with either an M-Audio Delta DIO or Audiophile, or feel free to suggest another reasonably priced sound card with good digital out.)

And please don't start the computer audio or not debate, I've got plenty of CD's but logistical and other factors make it much easier for me to listen at the PC.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Cambridge Audio DACmagic 2i / 3. Available for less than $150 on ebay. Nobody ever suggests these, but they are actually one of the best kept secrets in hifi, offering outstanding performance that is FAR in excess of its modest price tag, and as for the sound quality, it has a unique sound at this price point, with excellent bass and timing, it makes music sound very lively and involving.

Please note, the DACmagic is NOT the model that also acts as an isolation platform - this is the newer (and reportedly inferior) model.

Review: http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/1996/5/05dac

I own the DACmagic 3, and I have not found any recent CD player can do any better until the price rises to a ridiculous amount in comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back