finally made the jump to a good IEM
Dec 25, 2008 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gibson5469

Head-Fier
I joined head-fi 9 months ago and have been so close to purchasing a new set of IEM's about a dozen or so times. First the im716's on that killer $20 closeout from newegg (then missed the deal), then the er6i's on sale for ~$50 on amazon. I almost purchased the Shure SCL4's from musicians friend, then missed it... then saw it on music123.. missed the black ones being on sale and finally purchased the white ones.

I don't think I'll be dissapointed jumping from the ex71's to these. And i'm hoping they are in fact better than the UE super.fi 3?!

It was about time i upgraded these phones
ksc75smile.gif

edit - how should I burn these in?

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 9
no need to burn in balanced armature IEMs.

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no need to burn in IEMs.

Dynamically-driven IEMs such as the Future Sonics Atrio M5 certainly require burn-in. A just-opened M5 is a completely different phone than a 50 or 100 hour M5.

As well, I have experienced a difference using burn-in files on one of my armature-driven IEMs (The others I either didn't notice or they didn't need any).

Of course, YMMV and you are welcome to your opinion, but burn-in is in my experience a definite reality when purchasing headphones, at least to varying degrees of effectiveness and necessity.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 9
i am new babie

i first bought Sony MDR EX90, i get shocked for the worst sound expecially on high. after 1 months listening sound looks like changing but dont know why this happens, and after 2 months..the sound pretty nice especially the lower sweet deep bass, the high porished to more acceptable...

i later studyin internet to find the reason behind.... ya, now i know Dynamically-driven IEMs need a lot burning..

same to my new bought Sennheiser..
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamically-driven IEMs such as the Future Sonics Atrio M5 certainly require burn-in. A just-opened M5 is a completely different phone than a 50 or 100 hour M5.

And I assume you are claiming it gets better, not worse, right?

So you are saying that FutureSonics sells their IEMs in such a state that they sound significantly inferior to their intended sound out of the box. Why would they do that? Wouldn't it be easy for them to just run some sound through them for 50 hours before selling them?

Your EARS are what require the "burn-in."

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 9
^^ its a fair point scott but if manufacturers were to burn thier products in before selling them they would be selling you used drivers for a new price and can you imagine the complaints they would get if everybody knew they were putting used components inside thier supposedly ''new'' equipment?

not only this but thier costs for making them would go up as they would have to use a serious amount of electricity to burn in a few hundred thousand sets of earphones.

your correct your ears do need ''burn in'' period to get used to the sound, but dynamic drivers are also known to benefit from a loosening process (burn in). but some people would debate that they cant tell the difference with burn in so they wouldnt want the manufacturers to put use on thier brand new earphones. i know i wouldnt want my earphones readily burnt in. and just because manufacturers dont burn in thier earphones does not mean they dont enefit from a run in period.

much like car engines, or brake discs and pads, these actually come recommended to have a run in process in which it isnt advised to put the engine under serious driving conditions until components are worn in.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I assume you are claiming it gets better, not worse, right?

So you are saying that FutureSonics sells their IEMs in such a state that they sound significantly inferior to their intended sound out of the box. Why would they do that? Wouldn't it be easy for them to just run some sound through them for 50 hours before selling them?

Your EARS are what require the "burn-in."

Not always better (most of the time though), usually just different. Sound quality doesn't generally improve, more the sound signature changes.

As has been pointed out, nobody wants to pay for used equipment, nor does a manufacturer want to spend the cash to burn your equipment in for you.

As well, the Atrio M5 sounds amazing out of the box, and it only gets better over time.

Also, if that whole "EARS require burn-in" thing were true, I couldn't listen in the morning, leave for an entire day to work while letting the headphone burn in, then come back and listen to the exact same song/file and be able to tell such a difference.

I've also additionally proved this by buying multiples of the same headphone and testing a burnt in one against a new one (JLab Audio JBuds J2, for the record). Before and after burn in the sound is drastically different. Ask anyone who's also bought these.

All I'm saying is that dynamically driven IEMs change a lot within the first 24-150 hours (as a general rule), and armature driven IEMs either don't change at all, change very slightly, or change just over "very slightly" over the first 150-1000 hours (e.g. so little over so long you really wouldn't notice, and most or all of the change is likely happening in the cable, not actually in the driver). As far as armature-driven, the only one I've heard change significantly from burn in has been the Klipsch Image X10.

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The same can be said for Denon's canalphone line... the C7xx have extremely harsh, piercing highs and out-of-control bloated bass until they have atleast a few hours of burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back