FiiO Q7 Portable Desktop-Class DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #376 of 719
@FiiO Willson

Your next portable DAC amp should really be something with an embedded WiFi streamer.
Something like the Chord Mojo 2 with the Polly streamer.
It is more compact than the Q7 so the chassis has enough room for accommodating the WiFi module.
Make a Q9 or Q17 with a WiFi streamer and you have a real winner.

Maybe we should put a screen on that one for ease of control as well. We can just use Android for the OS to control that thing.

Oh, wait ... :dt880smile:

Joke aside, is there any improvement in sound quality moving from M11S to Q7 if I only IEM? I heard noticeable improvement moving from dongles to M11S, so I wonder if there is anything more to squeeze out. There seems to be many folks listening to IEMs with M17.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #377 of 719
Thanks for your suggestions!
We are working on these technologies and will launch products with these features at the right time. :beerchug:
Great to hear that.
A transportable DAC/amp with WiFi (the mojo 2 + Polly) is the most practical piece of personal audio equipment I have ever used.
It makes my DAPs obsolete.
I would love to use the Q7 without connecting it with a cable and have better audio quality than the Bluetooth can offer.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #378 of 719
Maybe we should put a screen on that one for ease of control as well. We can just use Android for the OS to control that thing.

Oh, wait ... :dt880smile:

Joke aside, is there any improvement in sound quality moving from M11S to Q7 if I only IEM? I heard noticeable improvement moving from dongles to M11S, so I wonder if there is anything more to squeeze out. There seems to be many folks listening to IEMs with M17.
It is not about power only, they have different sound signatures and I find the Q7 much better sounding. (Well, at least for my tastes)

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #379 of 719
Great to hear that.
A transportable DAC/amp with WiFi (the mojo 2 + Polly) is the most practical piece of personal audio equipment I have ever used.
It makes my DAPs obsolete.
I would love to use the Q7 without connecting it with a cable and have better audio quality than the Bluetooth can offer.
I was interested in this as well but as far as I know there is no way to do hi res streaming from music apps over wifi (Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon, etc.).

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #380 of 719
I was interested in this as well but as far as I know there is no way to do hi res streaming from music apps over wifi (Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon, etc.).
Why is that?
If you can't do it with WiFi then how can you?
I am streaming right now Qobuz 192/24 over WiFi to the Chord Polly with the aid of bubble upnp.
Lossless that is!

It is like connecting a dedicated streamer to your DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #381 of 719
Like this.
IMG_20221123_234018.jpg

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #382 of 719
Why is that?
If you can't do it with WiFi then how can you?
I am streaming right now Qobuz 192/24 over WiFi to the Chord Polly with the aid of bubble upnp.
Lossless that is!

It is like connecting a dedicated streamer to your DAC.
How does that work on iOS? I'm not aware of any 3rd party apps that can play files from music streaming apps.

Also is your example from a downloaded file or is it streaming from Qobuz?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #384 of 719
Sorry but I am not iOS educated but I think that it can be done with Airplay?
AirPlay maxes out at 44 kHz. Also in your example are you playing a downloaded file or is it streaming in Quoboz?

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #386 of 719
I am streaming.
iOS is an unknown universe to me...
Well that's the challenge. A wifi streaming device essentially only works on Android and that's not enough of a reason for me to swap my iPhone and iPad to Android. I also suspect that Apple Music doesn't work on Bubble upnp since the files are encrypted. It would only work with with an AirPlay plug in, but that would also limit to just 44 kHz.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #387 of 719
Well that's the challenge. A wifi streaming device essentially only works on Android and that's not enough of a reason for me to swap my iPhone and iPad to Android. I also suspect that Apple Music doesn't work on Bubble upnp since the files are encrypted. It would only work with with an AirPlay plug in, but that would also limit to just 44 kHz.
I don't know.
The bubble upnp is that the remote control so it could work with Apple music but we need someone else to enlighten us.

Nov 23, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #388 of 719
How does that work on iOS? I'm not aware of any 3rd party apps that can play files from music streaming apps.

Also is your example from a downloaded file or is it streaming from Qobuz?
Mconnect player.
Screenshot_20221123-231328~3.png

Streaming Qobuz or local files to AK connect (on A&K Kann, Kann Cube etc), or to UAPP UPnP renderer running on HiBy R8. Mostly working well. Sometimes it works with annoying waiting times.

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #389 of 719

The Story of FiiO Portable Desktop-Class Amplifier Q7

Chapter 6 FiiO Q series traceability & development of portable DAC and headphone amplifier

It's been a long time since we started to share the R&D story of the Q7. In fact, it’s almost done. What is missing will be a summary.
Today we will talk about the origin of the FiiO Q series and some of the development process of FiiO in portable DAC/Amps.
The origin of FiiO Q Series
FiiO's portable DAC/Amp is mainly used to connect with mobile phones, or work for computers for decoding. It has evolved from the previous E17 to the Q1, Q3, and Q5 series (see picture 1).
1.jpeg

This product series runs through the entire period of FiiO from its birth to its growth, and the maturity, performance and serialization of corresponding products are also improving. Starting from the Q1 Mark Ⅱ, the MFi standard protocol for iPhone was prepared for the whole series of portable DAC/Amps.
Especially the birth of the Q5 in 2018, it built up the new image and industry benchmark for FiiO portable DAC/Amps at that time. With its comprehensive functions and excellent sound quality, it has also won unanimous praise from users. Many of our Q5(S) users have become big fans of the Q series. For one thing, it is convenient to use the Q5; for another, we haven't done a major upgrade for this product line, except a limited version released in 2020, the Q5s Type-C.
Actually, the Q7 can also be regarded as the bigger Q5s, since their basic functions are USB, optical and coaxial decoding, and they are designed with both single-ended and balanced headphone outputs.
The development of FiiO's portable DAC and headphone amplifiers
Portable DAC and headphone amplifiers cannot be used independently, which need to be used with a sound source, such as a computer, music player or mobile phone. Therefore, this type of product also develops with the change of the sound source.
The most intuitive ones are the two major changes brought about by the mobile Internet: streaming music and highly intelligent mobile phones.
Nowadays, an increasing number of people are willing to pay for streaming music media for its convenience and high efficiency to access hi-res music, which is better than traditional accessibility. Whether it is popular or classic music, we can find them through online music software with a clearer song classification.
*Our self-developed application, FiiO Music, already supports MQA decoding functions (see pictures 2).
3.jpg

In addition, the performance and configuration of smart phones have been improved a lot. They are enough to work as a front-end sound source for daily music listening, so compact portable DAC and amplifiers appeared, which are also named USB audio adapters. Socializing, entertaining, creating and music listening centered on mobile phones have gradually become daily routines for audiophiles. By installing the FiiO Music App and connecting the USB audio adapter to the mobile phone through the USB port, we can enjoy high-quality music anytime and anywhere.
Two years after the last generation of the Q5s Type-C, FiiO also developed the KA series and the Q3 MQA version in response to the above demands. For high-end listening needs, we reorganized the application and product line of DAC/Amps, so that they are distinctly sufficiently different from players and USB audio adapters (see picture 3).
4.jpg

In the end, the release of the Q7 has two representative significance. The first one is that FiiO will continue the product line of portable DAC/Amps. While completing the product line, we will also adjust the positioning to mainly in mid- to high-end. The second is that we will employ new design notions, including the appearance, interaction as well as platform.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 26, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #390 of 719

Users who are viewing this thread

Back