FiiO M15 User Experiences
Oct 17, 2020 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mk00

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I wanted to write a practical ownership review of the M15 hoping that it may benefit some of you.

I have very recently purchased the M15 along with an HD 800S and so far it has been a terrific choice giving me the pleasure of a mid-level high-end set which would cost much more.

1. M15 is a pretty well-built iphone 11-sized but heavier source+amp that offers many extra features thanks to its android os.
2. The device is rather sleek and heavy thus it is slippery so buying a non-slippery protective case should be seriously considered. FiiO's website does not offer any cases for the M15 and I suspect some web hits direct to fake FiiO website. FiiO as a company does not have good representation, the user's manuals are not informative and do not explain the features but repeat the like A Dac is a DAC. Their website is amateur and contains little info. I spent some time to play with the device to learn about it rather than dealing with their literature.
3. The musical qualities are super good and I have been very happy across a wide range of music. Needless to say, the 800S is a perfect can that I can wear for two hours (while sitting) before any neck strain.
4. Uploading music into the M15 was problematic. My Mac did not recognize the M15 thru the cable connection so I had to buy a new larger sd card that came with an adapter and this enabled me to upload 60 GB of music from the computer into the card in 30 minutes. Then the device easily imported 12,000 songs into its library without me having to do anything except one click.
5. I experienced major difficulties with the wifi and thought about returning the device but it appears those were related not to M15 but to Tidal which failed to download songs at home (acceptable streaming quality around 5-10 mbit) and also at the office (75 mbit-ish so rather fast.) At the end, I deleted the Tidal app and will cancel my subs. This may be a Tidal-android problem because Tidal on an iphone worked better for me with still streaming issues. On the M15 there were so many disconnections during the downloading that it simply is not usable.
6. M15 is a little computer and this is very handy because you can listen to music and if you shall choose to do so, you can do other things without having to use your phone/laptop. I guess the android choice was a good one!
7. It is very portable despite not being light and I use it anywhere at home and in my view it can be used anywhere.
8. Its battery has been pretty good so far giving me 10+ hours including some internet usage so it's a device you can definitely take around.
9. FiiO's own music app is pretty good and you have the option to use various streaming services.
10. I could not use Tidal because of streaming problems so I will stick to my own music but when it comes to trying something new, there is also Amazon Music which may be handy. Apple Music is not present on this android device and maybe I shall find a different

- I did not try its DAC only mode and can't comment on the M15 purely as a source. However, for a very short time, the dealer switched on this feature so I could compare M15's amp with a stand alone Cocktail Audio's 2500€ amp. The M15 as an amp did far better (or CA was far worse) when it came to delivering hard and progressive beats of heavy metal. Maybe on the CA you are never meant to listen to metal/rock but only classical?

With proper planning or a little post-purchase struggle, the M15 can make you and your ears really happy.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 13
Then the device easily imported 12,000 songs into its library without me having to do anything except one click.

Great report, thank you. One quick question though: how long does the import take, and can you skip it? I own several SD cards 128-400 GB that I change often and I don't want to wait for the library import each time. I'd rather skip the import and navigate the folder structure. But the poor manual doesn't tell you if that is possible.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 13
Great report, thank you. One quick question though: how long does the import take, and can you skip it? I own several SD cards 128-400 GB that I change often and I don't want to wait for the library import each time. I'd rather skip the import and navigate the folder structure. But the poor manual doesn't tell you if that is possible.

Hi, the import was super quick, it took max 2-3 mins for me. I think there is no file transfer process during the import but it's just indexing.

I tried playing directly from the sd card and it is doable too. I hope it helps.

Enjoy..

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Hi, the import was super quick, it took max 2-3 mins for me. I think there is no file transfer process during the import but it's just indexing.

I tried playing directly from the sd card and it is doable too. I hope it helps.

Enjoy..
Hi there,

I wanted to write a practical ownership review of the M15 hoping that it may benefit some of you.

I have very recently purchased the M15 along with an HD 800S and so far it has been a terrific choice giving me the pleasure of a mid-level high-end set which would cost much more.

1. M15 is a pretty well-built iphone 11-sized but heavier source+amp that offers many extra features thanks to its android os.
2. The device is rather sleek and heavy thus it is slippery so buying a non-slippery protective case should be seriously considered. FiiO's website does not offer any cases for the M15 and I suspect some web hits direct to fake FiiO website. FiiO as a company does not have good representation, the user's manuals are not informative and do not explain the features but repeat the like A Dac is a DAC. Their website is amateur and contains little info. I spent some time to play with the device to learn about it rather than dealing with their literature.
3. The musical qualities are super good and I have been very happy across a wide range of music. Needless to say, the 800S is a perfect can that I can wear for two hours (while sitting) before any neck strain.
4. Uploading music into the M15 was problematic. My Mac did not recognize the M15 thru the cable connection so I had to buy a new larger sd card that came with an adapter and this enabled me to upload 60 GB of music from the computer into the card in 30 minutes. Then the device easily imported 12,000 songs into its library without me having to do anything except one click.
5. I experienced major difficulties with the wifi and thought about returning the device but it appears those were related not to M15 but to Tidal which failed to download songs at home (acceptable streaming quality around 5-10 mbit) and also at the office (75 mbit-ish so rather fast.) At the end, I deleted the Tidal app and will cancel my subs. This may be a Tidal-android problem because Tidal on an iphone worked better for me with still streaming issues. On the M15 there were so many disconnections during the downloading that it simply is not usable.
6. M15 is a little computer and this is very handy because you can listen to music and if you shall choose to do so, you can do other things without having to use your phone/laptop. I guess the android choice was a good one!
7. It is very portable despite not being light and I use it anywhere at home and in my view it can be used anywhere.
8. Its battery has been pretty good so far giving me 10+ hours including some internet usage so it's a device you can definitely take around.
9. FiiO's own music app is pretty good and you have the option to use various streaming services.
10. I could not use Tidal because of streaming problems so I will stick to my own music but when it comes to trying something new, there is also Amazon Music which may be handy. Apple Music is not present on this android device and maybe I shall find a different

- I did not try its DAC only mode and can't comment on the M15 purely as a source. However, for a very short time, the dealer switched on this feature so I could compare M15's amp with a stand alone Cocktail Audio's 2500€ amp. The M15 as an amp did far better (or CA was far worse) when it came to delivering hard and progressive beats of heavy metal. Maybe on the CA you are never meant to listen to metal/rock but only classical?

With proper planning or a little post-purchase struggle, the M15 can make you and your ears really happy.
Thanks for the user experience. Just received mine the other day. It sounds great, and in over-ear mode can easily drive my T60 Argons.

Initial setup was somewhat stressful, since a firmware update was required out of the box. Without the update I could not connect to Google servers and thus was unable to use Chrome. Had to go to Fiio website and download the update zip file to the microSD I got just for the player from my laptop. Once installed everything worked great. Also went through the driver load process to allow the USB functionality. Instructions on Fiio site were straightforward.

Great DAP, but setup might be daunting for someone not technically inclined.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi all,

Can someone compare the SQ and sound signature of m15 to the Astell&Kern SE200 and/or Chord mojo+poly?

I am looking to upgrade from the mojo+poly setup because of the usability issues (even though I love the SQ), but I have read that the sound of the FiiO M15 is not 'exciting', 'analytical and dry', which probably means it is not warm sounding..?

Would appreciate any views on this.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 13
Hi all.

I have recently upgraded from the M11 Pro to the M15 and couldn't be more happier.

I'm wondering what types of headphones people are pairing with them as I want to try something different. I would prefer closed back so I can use them when Im in the office and also wired isn't an issue.

Hopefully having the monster M15 will mean I don't need an amp.

Im thinking maybe some planar ones but don't know where to start.

I currently using my Momentums 3 for commutes but I'm looking to replace them with a wired headset that has a nice rumble/deep base/ possible Anc.

Music I listen to is mostly hip hop / jazz / classical but I like to hear sub/deep bass.

Any suggestions?

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 13
I have paired my M15 with Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed Backs and love them. I also love the T60 Argons but you probably won't be able to get those. I also have a few IEMs that sound great, particularly 64 Audio Tia Trios and Thieaudio Legacy 9s

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 13
I have paired my M15 with Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed Backs and love them. I also love the T60 Argons but you probably won't be able to get those. I also have a few IEMs that sound great, particularly 64 Audio Tia Trios and Thieaudio Legacy 9s

Thanks I had a look but can't get them unfortunately like you said. I'm thinking a planar headset but don't know how good the bass response is.

What's DC Aeons like in terms of bass?

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks I had a look but can't get them unfortunately like you said. I'm thinking a planar headset but don't know how good the bass response is.

What's DC Aeons like in terms of bass?
Crin only rates the DC Aeons a C+, but I find them very pleasing. I have the closed back remember, I understand the opens tuning is weird.. They come with various pad inserts for tuning. The bass is satisfying, not Argon level but very good. They are just well designed cans, comfortable and extremely well built.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi all.

I have recently upgraded from the M11 Pro to the M15 and couldn't be more happier.

I'm wondering what types of headphones people are pairing with them as I want to try something different. I would prefer closed back so I can use them when Im in the office and also wired isn't an issue.

Hopefully having the monster M15 will mean I don't need an amp.

Im thinking maybe some planar ones but don't know where to start.

I currently using my Momentums 3 for commutes but I'm looking to replace them with a wired headset that has a nice rumble/deep base/ possible Anc.

Music I listen to is mostly hip hop / jazz / classical but I like to hear sub/deep bass.

Any suggestions?
Haven’t tried these headphones with the m15 but great closed headphones:
ZMF verite closed (not planar but very 3d for closed and very detailed)
Audeze LCD XC (power hungry for full potential, but nice balanced warm sound)
Focal Stellia (not planar but the most detailed closed headphone I’ve ever heard with great bass that hits without bloat)
LCD XC is probably the only planar closed headphone I’ve liked, planar seem to sound better open. Dan Clark closed have been a bit of a let down for me, the Aeon 2 closed is ok for the price but definitely not very detailed, has some bass that’s loud but not hard hitting or well defined.

Jun 3, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 13
I still have my FiiO M15 and use it nearly every day. It has zero issues making any and all of my cans or IEMs sound incredible. The AKM 4499 is silky smooth and has incredible detail. As long as the battery holds out, it's a keeper.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 13
I still have my FiiO M15 and use it nearly every day. It has zero issues making any and all of my cans or IEMs sound incredible. The AKM 4499 is silky smooth and has incredible detail. As long as the battery holds out, it's a keeper.
Hi can you compare it to some other players or DAC/Amps you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back