FiiO E10K or something else for the HD6xx/HD650
Nov 10, 2016 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

c0rp1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys.

Was from the lucky ones who managed to join the drop yesterday. So now the question is, will a Fiio E10K be enough to drive the HD6xx (it will cost $60 on 11.11 in aliexpress which sounds like a great price)?

For what it's worth, I know there are several other alternatives like the Monoprice DAC/AMP, and the SSML SD-793II (SSML M3)

Any other options in the sub $100 range?

Thanks !

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 15
I would like to know this as well. I just joined the HD6XX drop yesterday and I need to know what DAC and Amp or DAC/Amp I should get. I was looking at the E10K thinking it was cheap but I was also looking at Schiit Modi 2 and Magni. Any input is greatly appreciated :)

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 15
The Fiio will work, but it won't be a good pairing and you'll want to eventually upgrade.

What source are you using? You could potentially just get an amp for now and buy the Dac later after saving a bit more.

@fredrkie

The M&M stack would absolutely be better than the Fiio. You could also get the Vali 1 instead of the Magni 2 if you prefer a warmer signature.

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 15
The Fiio will work, but it won't be a good pairing and you'll want to eventually upgrade.

What source are you using? You could potentially just get an amp for now and buy the Dac later after saving a bit more.

@fredrkie

The M&M stack would absolutely be better than the Fiio. You could also get the Vali 1 instead of the Magni 2 if you prefer a warmer signature.

PC mainly (has a Realtek ALC1150 sound card btw). I would like to be able to use it with my phone as well (phone has a built in amplifier of some sort as well - http://www.mi.com/en/minote/hifi/) . Pretty new at all these stuff to be honest... What about the Monoprice DAC/AMP? Thanks again !

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 15
PC mainly (has a Realtek ALC1150 sound card btw). I would like to be able to use it with my phone as well (phone has a built in amplifier of some sort as well - http://www.mi.com/en/minote/hifi/) . Pretty new at all these stuff to be honest... What about the Monoprice DAC/AMP? Thanks again !

The USB stick dac/amp? I hear it's actually pretty nice and on par with one of AQ designs.

Go for it, about as good as it gets for less than $100 for a dac/amp combo. You could always upgrade later if you feel like it, the 6xx will scale up with any future equipment you buy.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Fiio e10k is advertised as amp for up to 150ohm headphones the hd6xx is 300. I actually have the fiio. Tried and it sounded very bad. Then had the phones breakin and now they sound great but i m now using the x1 fiio player cause the olympus is back at the office so i m not sure if problem was the olympus or the breakin. Gonna upgrade my amp anyway...only question is if to a new dac amp or just buy an amp and connect it to the fiio as dac only using its line in feature

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Fiio e10k is advertised as amp for up to 150ohm headphones the hd6xx is 300. I actually have the fiio. Tried and it sounded very bad. Then had the phones breakin and now they sound great but i m now using the x1 fiio player cause the olympus is back at the office so i m not sure if problem was the olympus or the breakin. Gonna upgrade my amp anyway...only question is if to a new dac amp or just buy an amp and connect it to the fiio as dac only using its line in feature

That's very interesting! Was about to order one but might have to rethink that now.

Any idea why the Fiio e10k is advertised as "16Ω~300Ω" in the german store?

1. Power supply: Standard Micro USB connection
  2. Output Power: 200mW (32Ω)
  3. Sample rate USB decoder: 96KHz / 24 bit (maximum support)
  4. Coaxial Output: Stereo PCM Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz
  5. Supported headphone impedance: 16Ω ~ 300Ω
  6. Size: 79 × 49.1 × 21 (mm)
  7. Weight: 78g
Cheers

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #14 of 15
you will have to ask them :D in the dot net website it sais 16-150 ohm for headphones
http://m.fiio.net/en/products/27

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 15
you will have to ask them
biggrin.gif
in the dot net website it sais 16-150 ohm for headphones
http://m.fiio.net/en/products/27

Yeah I figured already and contacted them. Just took a bit for them to answer.

In essence they confirmed that it's supposed to be 150 ohm but they had positive feedback from their customers which reported that it's able to drive higher ohm headphones without a problem. That's why they decided to up the numbers on their shop. They do acknowledge that there might be some headphones with higher impedance that won't sound their best with it though.

Well so much for that. Using a HD6xx with a Dacport Slim which works pretty good so far. I used that one with my V-Moda XS at work before and now I miss that little guy there. That's why I was looking into a DAC/AMP combo for my HD6XX and bring the Dacport Slim back to work.

I could buy another one from Massdrop but they're pretty pricey with toll, tax and shipment to germany. The Fiio seemed like a good choice for the bass boost. But now it's kind of off the table. Or maybe I'll just get it for my V-Modas instead and keep the Dacport Slim for my HD6XX. They're way easier to drive.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back