[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #587 of 3,686
I don't yet have the TR5, but I do have a bunch of questions (and a suggestion)!

Does anybody have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive ($65 or less), neutral/transparent 2.5mm MMCX cable to use with the BTR5? I'm most concerned with durability and flexibility. Please and thank you!*

Also, for Android, aren't there two apps? Why can I only find the FiiO Music App, but not the controller app? Have they been consolidated? If so, is BTR5 fully compatible with other playback apps, like UAPP?

Can you apply EQ with other apps (especially UAPP)? If so, why aren't people EQing LDAC via another app?
For people claiming that the EQ reduces volume/fidelity, try boosting all bands to maximum. Does that normalize the volume between EQ on and off? You should be better able to tell if it's reducing fidelity if volumes are matched. You should always EQ by cutting bands, not boosting. So if you want to apply +6dB bass boost, you would raise all frequencies to maximum, and then adjust everything you don't want boosted back down -6dB. So you might have, say, 31.5Hz and 62Hz at +12dB, and then the rest of the range would be at +6dB.

(Also, wow. Just downloaded the FiiO Music App and man is the EQ annoying to use. So, you want +6dB boost? Too bad! You can have 6.1! Or you can have 5.0! Those values are right next to each other, Mr. Fatfingers! It'd be much easier if you could just enter numeric values.)

*Yes, yes. I have already looked at hakuzen's thread and the cheap cables thread and can't make heads nor tails of either one.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #588 of 3,686
Joined the club as well for 76£. For that price it seems a no brainer to me. First of all, it is a very beautiful device. The most beautiful device ever to me.

Nice form factor, not as small as the es100 but I do not care at all, it just feels perfect to me.

Great idea also that the clip is on the plastic case so you do not damage this beauty by using it.

I bought it mostly for the usb mode in a small form factor with a powerful balanced mode for my 4Xx and 58X.

I have also the es100, xdsd and xCan with the xCan to be by far the best option for me. So I will test it in the following weeks to see if the btr5 is a giant killer and whether it can compete with xCan for driving my 58x as well. Regardless the outcome for 1/4 of the price I currently have no regrets.

Does anyone know if it can work also with iPhone in usb mode with a direct usb c to lighting cable without an apple usb adaptor? And can recommend any specific model/ brand that is working reliable?

Hey rafaelo, Where did you choose to purchase the btr5 from?

Jan 20, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #589 of 3,686
I don't yet have the TR5, but I do have a bunch of questions (and a suggestion)!

Does anybody have a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive ($65 or less), neutral/transparent 2.5mm MMCX cable to use with the BTR5? I'm most concerned with durability and flexibility. Please and thank you!*

Also, for Android, aren't there two apps? Why can I only find the FiiO Music App, but not the controller app? Have they been consolidated? If so, is BTR5 fully compatible with other playback apps, like UAPP?

Can you apply EQ with other apps (especially UAPP)? If so, why aren't people EQing LDAC via another app?
For people claiming that the EQ reduces volume/fidelity, try boosting all bands to maximum. Does that normalize the volume between EQ on and off? You should be better able to tell if it's reducing fidelity if volumes are matched. You should always EQ by cutting bands, not boosting. So if you want to apply +6dB bass boost, you would raise all frequencies to maximum, and then adjust everything you don't want boosted back down -6dB. So you might have, say, 31.5Hz and 62Hz at +12dB, and then the rest of the range would be at +6dB.

(Also, wow. Just downloaded the FiiO Music App and man is the EQ annoying to use. So, you want +6dB boost? Too bad! You can have 6.1! Or you can have 5.0! Those values are right next to each other, Mr. Fatfingers! It'd be much easier if you could just enter numeric values.)

*Yes, yes. I have already looked at hakuzen's thread and the cheap cables thread and can't make heads nor tails of either one.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FZWNRWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

got this over xmas for my FH7's perfect and great price.

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #592 of 3,686
I have reluctantly been forced to request a return of my BTR5 to Amp3 (great retailer BTW, no quibbles and they got the BTR5 to me well ahead of promised date, so no complaints there) due to a very unreliable LDAC connection.
When walking (or sitting for that matter) with the BTR5 in one front pocket, and my phone (Sony XZ1 compact) in the other front trouser pocket the connection kept dropping in an extremely annoying manner.
At first I thought I must just suffer a very 'dirty' RF environment in my home, but this was even more of a problem while walking around outdoors.
Weirdly, it did quite well in the car on a seven hour trip at the weekend, even while being stuck in traffic, which I would guess exposed us to all the other BT devices often found in cars).

600 was a bit better than 900, but still far from flawless, and I didn't try aptx-hd as the choice of the BTR5 was specifically to use LDAC, which I thought would work well with my Sony phone.

I even had occasional problems while the phone and device were stationary within a few inches of one-another, which was a big surprise.

I know it's early days for the BTR5, and not many actually have it yet, but I've seen no other complaints of this nature yet, only praise.
All the reviews I've seen report BT stability somewhere between normal and good.
Can't understand it :disappointed_relieved:

EDIT:
I forgot that the BTR5 also shut down without warning on me too (it was still at nearly full charge, and sitting stationary on my desk near the phone).
This only occured once though, so not much of an issue really, not confidence inspiring though.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #593 of 3,686
I know it's early days for the BTR5, and not many actually have it yet, but I've seen no other complaints of this nature yet, only praise.
All the reviews I've seen report BT stability somewhere between normal and good.

Hey man, well I have about 20 hours listening on it now. All Over LDAC (varying bit rates) not a single unexpected issue so far. I say unexpected because I walk through Victoria station regularly. The middle of that concourse is a radio storm and always takes out BT for me. But it reconnected as soon as I passed and apart from that it just works. I also just tested it at my desk at home which has 8 BT devices and 4 wifi devices. Also 4 PC's so it is a bit noisy. Took my player about 20ft away and could still connect with the BTR% using ldac no problem. So I would assume yours is faulty. Dont worry though AMP3 are good guys when it comes to returns.

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #594 of 3,686
Hey man, well I have about 20 hours listening on it now. All Over LDAC (varying bit rates) not a single unexpected issue so far. I say unexpected because I walk through Victoria station regularly. The middle of that concourse is a radio storm and always takes out BT for me. But it reconnected as soon as I passed and apart from that it just works. I also just tested it at my desk at home which has 8 BT devices and 4 wifi devices. Also 4 PC's so it is a bit noisy. Took my player about 20ft away and could still connect with the BTR% using ldac no problem. So I would assume yours is faulty. Dont worry though AMP3 are good guys when it comes to returns.
Yeah, I guess it is faulty.
Or I suppose it could be my phone, but I haven't had any BT troubles with it otherwise.
AMP3 are great indeed.

I was amazed by the size of the BTR5, and by the power output, this thing will power most anything that isn't stupidly power hungry.
Low gain @ 42 (out of 60)is enough to drive my Denon D2000's to a genuinely serious volume.
And bass resolution and drive are frankly astonishing for something the size of a stick of gum!
I did find that symbals have a touch too much 'sizzle' for my liking, and sibilants are the same, just slightly exaggerated and uncomfortable for me.
I'm talking minor issues here though.
If the LDAC stability were better I'm certain that I could have overcome my slight dislike of the splashy stuff and kept the amp.
Overall I found the treble to be slightly distant sounding, and a little less impressive than the lower end of the spectrum.
Not bad by any means at all, just not as attention getting as the great bass and percussion reproduction.
The sibilants did get my attention quite a bit though, despite the otherwise very slightly timid highs.

Battery life is OK, but the impact of LDAC on my phone battery was definitely noticable.

This all sounds a bit negative and that's not my intention.
Although I've decided that BT devices aren't where I need them to be just yet, I am very impressed.
I'm going to stick to wires for a while, and keep my eye on BT devices.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #595 of 3,686

Hi!

The „second“ app only seems to be available as beta via aptk and cannot be found in the play store (nor is it available for iOS) yet.

Concerning the EQ: Volume increase is not the issue here (since it is normal to avoid clipping) but a loss in treble details if the EQ is on FLAT.
So lowering the levers does not solve the problem here because the problem occurs when no levers are moved at all.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #597 of 3,686
Hi!

The „second“ app only seems to be available as beta via aptk and cannot be found in the play store (nor is it available for iOS) yet.

Concerning the EQ: Volume increase is not the issue here (since it is normal to avoid clipping) but a loss in treble details if the EQ is on FLAT.
So lowering the levers does not solve the problem here because the problem occurs when no levers are moved at all.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!
My bad. I guess I must've misunderstood somewhere along the way. I thought people were saying that the volume level goes down when EQ is engaged.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #599 of 3,686
To those who used both the ES100 and BTR5, how does battery life actually compare?

ES100 for sure lasts longer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back