Favorite Fried Chicken?
Mar 2, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
That's hard to believe with fried chicken....you know how the meat is nice and juicy? Well that's not only chicken juice...
tongue.gif

You know what I mean .. when you get the chicken that is covered in grease and makes the batter all soggy .. Walmarts isn't really like that .. the batter stays crispy ..
icon10.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #47 of 56
Okay our second try at making fried chicken turned out a little better this time. We used the Alice recipe plus a little black pepper and minus the kim chee sauce. And we used drumsticks instead of wings. We cooked the chicken at a high heat (9/10) with a lid for about 15 minutes.

The results?
confused.gif

On our 1st batch we used leftover vegetable oil from our attempt yesterday, so the chicken ended up with a slight carcinogenic smell from the leftover burning flour artifacts. It didn't ruin the chicken experience though. Our 2nd batch was the same thing as the 1st, but with fresh vegetable oil and no burned smell at all. There were two notable things however, 1.) the minced garlic burned giving the chicken a slightly bitter garlic taste/smell and 2.) the heat may have been a little excessive, almost burning the skin sometimes. The skin was overall crispy and tasty, the chicken juicy and tender. It was fantastic--quickly approaching the quality of my mother's fried chicken!
icon10.gif

Our next batch will probably make use of garlic powder, and maybe an 8/10 heat setting. We may experiment with different types of flour as well--we used self-rising flour for ours, we may try wheat flour next time. Any more suggestions, perhaps involving eggs or buttermilk?

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
Church's Chicken is the best chicken in the known universe.

Is it just me or does Church's put WAY more grease than others? It tastes awesome at first, then on the third piece I start getting this sick feeling, like too much grease, and then I gotta eat like 10 mouthfuls of coleslaw and I'm fine
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I know it's not good enough for you chickenophiles, but I get cravings for Popeye's every so often.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Without a doubt, Popeyes is my favourite grease-pit chicken. Spicier the better. Fun Fact! - They use chicken grease to enhance their red beans and rice and biscuits -- AND IT DOES!

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkKLC
Is it just me or does Church's put WAY more grease than others? It tastes awesome at first, then on the third piece I start getting this sick feeling, like too much grease, and then I gotta eat like 10 mouthfuls of coleslaw and I'm fine
tongue.gif

I've personally never tried Church's, but I share the same experience with other chickens. I love chicken that's not overly greasy, so that I can eat more of it without getting sick.

Mar 2, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
Okay our second try at making fried chicken turned out a little better this time. We used the Alice recipe plus a little black pepper and minus the kim chee sauce. And we used drumsticks instead of wings. We cooked the chicken at a high heat (9/10) with a lid for about 15 minutes.

The results?
confused.gif

On our 1st batch we used leftover vegetable oil from our attempt yesterday, so the chicken ended up with a slight carcinogenic smell from the leftover burning flour artifacts. It didn't ruin the chicken experience though. Our 2nd batch was the same thing as the 1st, but with fresh vegetable oil and no burned smell at all. There were two notable things however, 1.) the minced garlic burned giving the chicken a slightly bitter garlic taste/smell and 2.) the heat may have been a little excessive, almost burning the skin sometimes. The skin was overall crispy and tasty, the chicken juicy and tender. It was fantastic--quickly approaching the quality of my mother's fried chicken!
icon10.gif

Our next batch will probably make use of garlic powder, and maybe an 8/10 heat setting. We may experiment with different types of flour as well--we used self-rising flour for ours, we may try wheat flour next time. Any more suggestions, perhaps involving eggs or buttermilk?

Yes, you probably had the heat setting too high. Set the heat to about 325 degrees (cook the pieces for about 10 to 12 minutes each side or until golden brown) to avoid burning the minced garlic and always if possible use fresh oil. Use low fat buttermilk and soak the pieces in it overnight to make them tender and juicy when you fry them.

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #52 of 56
My favorite fried chicken was in Japan. It was actually from a street vender. As I recall, an Australian tourist next to me was freaking out because it was so delicious.

In America, I like the combination of fried chicken and Jambalaya (New Orleans rice dish) on the side. This combination is something that you would find in some places in New Orleans. .

In the category of fast food chains, I like Popeyes Fried Chicken.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #53 of 56
Most certainly Popeyes in the US (Churches are pretty good as well), but I think different Popeyes locations have different qualities in the output. I used to go to one Popeye that the chicken would be so juicy, but another, the chicken would have a smell and kinda dry.

IMO, a good fried chicken should contain the juiciness under the crispy exterior. I went to a Bonchon lately, and I was disappointed how the dry the interior was.

I've seen some videos of Korean chicken and it seems like a place for varieties of fried chicken places to try. Seems very creative when it comes to fried chicken varities there.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #54 of 56
I’m a fan of Korean fried chicken too. My favorite version is the original or I think it’s the original version. It’s the one that’s coated with potato or rice flour/starch and no sauce. The crispy texture is outstanding with the starch and gives it a hint of like a French fry flavor. But in order to really appreciate this, you have to have it with no sauce.

The usage of potato starch or other starch is common in other Asian countries too like Taiwan for example. In my opinion this is what makes the best crispy skin. Which is the main reason why I think Asian fried chicken is the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back