EXTREMELY Random Comparison of Headphones. EW9 vs. ES7 vs. HFi-650 vs. HFi-780. Help needed!
Dec 27, 2008 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Raez

500+ Head-Fier
This might be the most random headphone comparison ever done on this forum. I'm doing this comparison because I need a pair of portable headphones (the Ultrasones qualify because they can be folded) and these seem to be the best ones in my price range.

I don't have ANY of these headphones, so I need your help to decide. From my research however, this is what I've come up with:
[size=large]
EW9
[/size]
Beautiful wooden clip on from Audio Technica. Sounds good with airy/acoustic music. Very comfortable and good looking. ($100-$130)

[size=large]
ES7
[/size]
Either shinny or matte closed headphones from Audio Technica. People have mixed opinions on these. I feel like it's a pair of hate it or love it cans. ($100-130 again)

[size=large]
HFI-650
[/size]
No idea (You can get em cheap from the sale goin' on)

[size=large]
HFI-780
[/size]
Great for techno/rap? (I have a good offer on these from a friend, usually $299)

Please help this comparison guys!

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 9
Pretty please?
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 9
I wanna know where the hell you can get ESW9s that are not forgeries for $100 to $130.

They're going for $225-250 used in the FS forums. o.o

Edit: Oops, EW9 not ESW9. Reading comprehension is good. x_x

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 9
biggrin.gif
Not a problem.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Are the EW9s comfortable? Have you tried them on? From what I read, they seem to fit on some ears better than others. They do look pretty nice for clip ons, though.

I love how the ES7s sound, but I think one of the biggest things that turn people off about this can are their comfort and fit - If they don't have good seal over your ear, they won't sound too great. The headband itself isn't the most comfortable thing either. If you do decide on ES7s, check out the ES7 headband mod guide right here on the forum.

Can't say anything on the Ultrasones, but from what I've read, fit and comfort are another thing you should be weary of with these cans.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 9
I've heard the ES7s are a hate it or love it kind of can. I'm leaning towards the Ultrasones ATM but we'll see.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 9
I have the ES7s and I also like the sound. After the little headband adjustment/mod, they're much more comfortable and they look great too.

Sorry I can't help with the other 'phones.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 9
i suppose the es7's are a hate it or love it can. squid+ says he likes them. me, not so much. i thought the sq was fun, good bass response etc. but, they were just so uncomfortable for me even after i adjusted the headband. it still felt tight on my head. and personally, i really did not like the finish on the earcups. they are a gloss finish, almost kind of like a mirror. finger prints and scratches can get on it VERY easily and so i had to constantly wipe them down basically u could never touch the earcups without leaving ur prints there. so yea, i guess everyones different.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Hmmm, interesting. I'm leaning towards the HFi-780 so I could have a more balanced set. My ATH-AD700s for gaming/movies, GS-1000s for classical and maybe rock, and the HFi-780s for travel and techno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back