Excellent Review!!!!!!!!!
Nov 21, 2002 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ALBEDOZONE

New Head-Fier
Thank you for the outstanding review. I was an original buyer of a SONY DISCMAN D-25 back in the late 1980's. I absolutely love it and I have absolutely almost completely worn it out after about 15+ years of heavy use. It still works great, but the headphone jack crackles and the unit flutters a bit upon start-up, but ultimately still plays CDs fine. And, this is after the unit has been dropped several times and travelled many 100's of thousands of miles and played several thousand CDs.

I took a chance this past week and searched ebay for another D-25 of which there were none. Then upon further searching I discovered some NOS of the D-25S, which looks identical. Your review did much to help provide me with info on the "S" model of the D-25, which I knew little about.

I am happy to report that I just won a bid for the D-25. Thanks to your review, I may just try to buy a second D-25S as a back-up.

I have always used my D-25 with SONY MDR-V6 headphones (which I have also used for over 15+ years), but I will probably be upgrading to a pair of SONY MDR-V900's soon.

I have done a demo of many CD portables over the years, but nothing seemed to sound nearly as good as the D-25, which strikes me as strange after 15+ years. I am just glad I have been able to score a NOS D-25S.

Thanks, again, for the outstanding review. The detailed information was helpful and appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrew
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 6
are you sure about those v900s, from what I have heard(demo and reading up on the web) it seems like most sony phones aren't that great(crappy), besides the v6/7506 and the upper crust models.(cd3000 etc) If you are just looking for closed phones i am sure there are a million people here that could send you in a better direction.

Nov 21, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 6
I agree with raif here, ALBEDOZONE. Those MDR-V900s are a downgrade - sound-wise - from your MDR-V6s! The V900s have severely overboosted mid-bass and upper-bass response (what the heck is that +10dB increase at between 100Hz and 200Hz?), and obviously rolled-off response above the midrange (more than -5dB below the reference level above 4kHz). Worse, whatever top-end that you'll hear from the V900s is false - tinny ringing noises/resonances rather than true musical detail. The V6's sound a bit analytical (abrasive?) in the upper mids and lower treble, but they're a heck of a lot better than the V900s.

On the other hand, from what I've read the headphone output of the D25S is a bit too bright-sounding. In that case, the MDR-V900 may be an okay match - but if you absolutely must buy a Sony headphone in the $150 to $200 price range, I'd pick the MDR-CD2000 or the discontinued and hard-to-find MDR-CD1700 over the MDR-V900.

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Ah! In my quest to be an audiophile geek I finished the frequency test CD and I have been running the MDR-7509 (AKA the MDR-V700 and I'm told the V900) with the MDR-CD1700.
AS I said previously elsewhere I can be quite unreliable in my evaluations but if the 7509 has a +10db boost at 100-200hz, I'm fairly sure that the CD1700 has it too. Volumes are practically identical at that frequency range. Top end response is also about the same from what I can hear.
The 7509 and CD1700 have the capability with the right equipment to make sublime Jazz recordings 'melt in your mouth'. I REALLY like these headphones.
But also having the 7506 (AKA the V6 I'm told, although only a meeting with Duncan will tell), if you like the V6 sound you may not like the mellower tone of the V900/7509/whatever. Here's a tip: BUY MY HD280!!!!
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 6
I have to agree Bangraman, and the instant expression on your face said it all that day, when you heard my V6 in comparison to your 7509 (which i'm told are the V700s or V900s even though the years don't tie up with the model #'s)

The V6/7506 has a LOT more slam / bass weight, when compared to either the CD1700s or the 7509s

The CD1700s can go the deepest, in the cleanest manner when compared to the V6... listening to a 23hz test tone, the V6 sound warbles a bit... they don't seem to have ultimate control, whereas, the CD1700s... smooth, subwoofer deep bass, one seemingly long note (as it should be!!)...

Even though my Senns are ultimately more musical, their bass (control) is no match for the CD1700s which although some people have said over time that they are bass light, I personally think the bass is right on the mark
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the D25S by the way... my advice to you, don't listen to a D777/E905 with your V6... maybe they'd change your opinion
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back