Ever heard of mp3gain?
Sep 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Genocide174

100+ Head-Fier
A couple of months ago I bought a pair of DT770 pro 80 ohm. It's not the hardest driven headphone ever, but I knew that my sansa clip+ wasn't going to be enough to power it. So I bought the fiio E11 and was happy with my purchase because know I could just blast away with my +2 bass on the E11 and some epic skrillex songs.

I went abroad on vacation and sadly enough I somehow lost my clip+ AND the fiio E11. Don't ask me how, I'm normally a very responsible person and don't loose my stuff too often.

Obviously I didn't last more than a day without music. So I went and bought a new sansa clip+. Without the E11 the sound wasn't that exciting.

That's when I found mp3gain. I don't know the science behind it, but what it does is simple. It literally increases/decreases (based on your choice) the dB of the file you put into mp3gain. What's great is that not only can you increase it to a pretty loud volume, but you can increase/decrease the volume of a certain file how many times you want, so there are no boundaries.

That's not even the best thing about the program. Have you ever encountered a problem where your songs have different volumes? You listen to a song on the perfect volume and when the next songs comes it's either too low or too high. No worries, mp3gain fixes that too. Put all your songs into the program, press the "Track Gain" button and let the progress finish. VOILA! All of your songs now have the same volume!

Now I can actually enjoy music with my DT770's with my clip+, without ANY amp.

I thought I'd share it here so we all can enjoy our music to it's fullest! Enjoy.

Link: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 3
If you're increasing the volume of your MP3s, you're going to get a lot of clipping. You should really only use it to lower gain on loud tracks, and increase gain on quiet tracks as long as you don't clip the peaks.

I used MP3Gain before, but the scanning took forever and it was hard to remove the gain. Replaygain is better if your player supports it. It handles almost every file format, does it fast, and has methods to prevent clipping according to peaks.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
If you're increasing the volume of your MP3s, you're going to get a lot of clipping. You should really only use it to lower gain on loud tracks, and increase gain on quiet tracks as long as you don't clip the peaks.

I used MP3Gain before, but the scanning took forever and it was hard to remove the gain. Replaygain is better if your player supports it. It handles almost every file format, does it fast, and has methods to prevent clipping according to peaks.

Well yeah that's the point I guess. It says so on their website too, increasing the volume too much will disturb the quality of the song. So yeah I guess it's purely made to make your songs have equally amount of dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back