etymotiks er-6 vs shure slc-3 vs ?
Jan 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Tykal

New Head-Fier
after much research, it seemed the sound quality on the ER-6i's was well touted, so i decided to give them a go, but the minute i put them in i found myself wondering where the hell my bass went? it wasn't just low, it was barely audible. my $10 panasonics made them sound like $3 cobys. so i figured okay, i just need to adjust the tips, the way i wear them, and the pmp's frequency settings. i use a cowon d2, not exactly high on my list of bass/mids sound quality to begin with, but good enough not to have to switch to another player.

after spending all night fiddling with the things, the bass still sounds sorely lacking, so i tried running it with a fiio amp, and now it's noticable, but sounds like it's being run through hot mud, even with the bass on 0 on the d2.

so i'm going to try to return them, but considering i opened the package and
the ebay seller has no return policy listed, i'm guessing my only option would
be to try to exchange them for other buds he has for sale, which are limited
to the shure slc-3 or shure slc-4. i researched them, and again am finding
reviews that the bass on those is lower than ideal, and am afraid i'll just end up even more disappointed than i already am.

admittedly there's a clarity to the er-6i's that was lacking on my bose tips
or the headphones that came with the d2, but given that my preferred modes of music are all bass oriented (oldskool jungle, breakbeat hardcore, breakcore and dub), i need my bass loud, clear and pronounced, and these simply won't cut it.

can anyone shed some light on whether the slc-3/4 might work for me, or if not, recommend some others that are bass-heavy without sacrificing clarity?

some alternatives i've been considering are phonak, senn sx300, v-moda bass freq, Super.Fi 5 v2, grado 80s, livewires...

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm told that the bass is noticeably better on the SLC4's than the 3's. I'd grab up the 4's anyway, they have a street price ranging from $150 to $250 if purchased new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back