ESW9a or HD25-1 Please help a fella out!!
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Greymoor

New Head-Fier
I am weak friends . . . While waiting for my home rig to be built and arrive I have slipped and purchased a P-51 portable amp. Now as much as I like my KSC-75s and PX-100s I feel the P-51 deserves better. 2 cans I hear good things about are the ATH-ESW9a and the HD25-1. I have been unable to find direct comparisons so I am asking my fellow Head-fiers, with any knowledge of these cans, to send some wisdom my way. Someone who has owned both would be a godsend.
biggrin.gif

Currently my wallet and I are not on speaking terms . . . the estrangement may deepen
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 10
I've asked before and have gotten some answers, but have now forgotten them. An extensive search should turn them up, if no one replies helpfully to this thread. Not many people have had lots of experience with both. My ESW9 should arrive in a few weeks, however...

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Oh the hell with it. I went ahead and ordered the ATH-ESW9a. All of this review and opinion reading was getting tiresome. I really could not go wrong with either one. If I have a problem with them I can always sell them and buy the other just like the rest of Head-fi seems to do with their equipment.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 10
I was looking seriously between the two and chose the ESW9, mostly for comfort and fashion. (having tried or heard neither). HD25 seemed a little more "street" or something. The ESW9 are very refined, but not in a flashy way. You have to treat them nicely, however, or they will show the abuse. HD25 by all accounts will take serious abuse much better.

The ESW9 is really a very sweet little headphone. My wife loved it. I didn't find that it improved much with the amp I had at the time, Ibasso D2 Boa from source Cowon D2. P-51 might do it better.

I ended up selling it because I really prefer IEMs for portable use. But if I had to make the decision again between the two, I would likely take the HD25, especially if it was for durable portable use.

Like you said, you can't go wrong.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 10
The ATH-ESW9 has arrived. They are snuggled in with the P-51 burning in together. I only have about 4 hrs. on the P-51 and the ESW9 are just starting their burn in but I can say they do sound well together at the current time.

They have just enough time to burn in before my trip next Wed.

We shall see . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back