er6i distortion problem
Jan 27, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

marcums

New Head-Fier
I've had my er6i's for about a month now, and I noticed that one of them has started distorting starting at a certain volume. I rarely play music at that volume, but it's still disconcerting that it's distorting.

I tried replacing the filter, but the distortion is persisting. I'm also positive that I'm making a good seal. My ears are really sensitive so I'm pretty meticulous at getting a good seal. The distortion seems to occur in the frequencies between 2000hz and 2300hz.

I seriously doubt that the driver's gone bad, but I don't exactly know what's wrong. I'm guessing that something is loose and the resonance of those frequencies is causing whatever is loose to vibrate. Should I open them up and check for external particles and make sure that everything is secure or what.

I had this problem with a pair of Sennheisers I had one time (at a different frequency range), and I found that tightening all of the screws fixed the problem.

Any insight would help. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 4
i dont understand what distortion means!!! hehe

also how do u know there are distortion? did u generate some sine waves?

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm having a similar problem with my ER6i. Its left monitor seems to distort at medium-high volumes. Well, distortion may not be the word here - It's more like crackling. I think a lot of us who have used crap headphones in the past are familiar with this sound, but I don't think the ER6i are exactly crap phones, so...

I also recently replaced my filter, but the crackling is still apparent. No foreign objects in the sound tube, either. I use my ER6is most frequently with my D2 as the source. marcums, if you do open yours up, please tell us how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back